Global Mapper v25.0

Global Mapper v11.00 Beta 2 Now Available

global_mapper
global_mapper Administrator
edited August 2009 in Announcement and News
Global Mapper Software LLC is pleased to announce the availability of the second beta of Global Mapper v11.00 at
http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_setup.exe . Just download that file and run it to install v11.00. It will install alongside any existing Global Mapper version, so you don't have to worry about losing what you're currently working on.

Among the numerous significant changes in this second v11.00 beta are the following:

- Created native 64-bit version of Global Mapper, allowing users of 64-bit versions Windows to work with much larger data sets. This can be downloaded from http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_setup_64bit.exe .
- *** NEW IN BETA 2 *** Support for importing/exporting PDF files (note that GeoPDF is not yet supported).
- *** NEW IN BETA 2 *** Support for exporting loaded vector data to DWG files.
- Added free built-in access to global street-level maps from OpenStreetMap.org via the File->Download Online Imagery menu command.
- *** NEW IN BETA 2 *** Added support to combine area features, find the intersection of area features, and crop line and areas features to a crop area on export to some vector formats.
- Added real-time display of current cursor information (location, distance, elevation) to 3D Path Profile dialog. In addition, you can now also click to define a sub-path on the 3D Path Profile dialog and get information about that sub-path displayed.
- Added support for scaling point symbols, adding custom point symbols from PNG, GIF, JPG, and (new vector) .gmsym files, and easily creating symbols of custom sizes and colors for common shapes, like dots, squares, etc.
- Added toolbar for Digitizer/Edit Tool to make it easier to perform many commonly used operations.
- Added ability to create new line features by tracing them without clicking at each vertex with the Digitizer/Edit Tool.
- Added ability to rotate and scale features using the Digitizer/Edit Tool.
- Added support for numerous new formats, including Vertical Mapper (MapInfo) Grid/Clutter, QCT, QED, HTF, SPS, BAG, and many others.

All of the other numerous changes are listed in the What's New document that is displayed during installation.

Prior to the v11.00 release we also plan on adding several other major features, including a map layout tool for more easily creating finished maps, access to better world-wide imagery, and support for exporting new multi-band files.

While we plan on officially releasing v11.00 in a few weeks, for those
of you that just can't wait to purchase new licenses and upgrades to
existing licenses, you can purchase those now from
GIS Software Download - Topographic Mapping Software - Mapping Software With GPS . Pricing for upgrades from v10 is $129 US per license and pricing for new licenses are $349 US for a single license with price breaks for multi-license
purchases.

Let me know if you any problems or questions.

Thanks,

Mike
Global Mapper Software LLC
support@globalmapper.com

Comments

• STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2009
    Thats it! Now with PDF-support I can ditch one more other software and make everyday faster and more convenient.

Some improvement suggestions to make it perfect:

- How about adding a "Draw Paper" next to the Draw box - with the locked same dimensions as the selected paper?
    - Add a "legend" at a fixed location where you can select which attributes to have on the legend showing the features on the map.

Bug?
    - When adding an image at "Fixed screen location" in the bottom right, size is fixed percentage of view width it gets correctly placed in the view. However exporting to PDF and selecting Resolution 600 dpi and export bounds all data visible on screen prints out more instances of this fixed image. More correctly 20 of these images are printed (in the bottom right corner of "20 imaginary blocks" of the pdf). I guess it is the change of resolution that "copies" the data.
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping to get some kind of legend support added for the v11 release. The "Draw Paper" option might be useful as well, probably as an option on the 'Draw Box' dialog.

I have fixed the issue with exporting fixed screen things to PDF files. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • claudia
    claudia Global Mapper User
    edited July 2009
    Mike, there it will be need of separate fixes for the 32 and 64 bits versions of GM in the future?
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2009
    Yes, there will be separate patches for 32-bit and 64-bit. I have placed a new 64-bit build with all of the latest changes at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents over your existing v11 64-bit installation to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • digitalaviator
    digitalaviator Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2009
    Mike this looks very good, can't wait to try out the new features, some I was needing but hadn't got around to requesting...
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    Some more suggestions to the PDF-export options, I`ll rather put it here than in a new post in suggestions because I do not know if GM is supposed to remember settings already:

- Remember settings: Usually when you Export PDF - then something might be wrong and you are not satisfied with the result so you will do an Export PDF again. Would be nice if GM remembered the last settings (especially header and footer) so they do not have to be typed again
    - Open PDF: After the file is created it could automatically be opened
  • LPlateAndy
    LPlateAndy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    Hi Mike,

Great to see V11 out, it looks like a substantial update.

Couldn't seem to find any specification of which formats will permit the vector cropping.

I'm hoping it means that vector data can be cookie cut to irregular shapes? If so, will it work for DXF and then newly added DWG?

Either way, very impressed as usual....

Thanks!

Andy
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2009
    Andy,

Currently the cookie-cutter vector export works for Shapefile, Simple ASCII Text, Global Mapper Package, Polish MP, and Lowrance LCM exports. For DXF and DWG it's not there yet (I'll add it to the todo list though). I would suggest doing a cookie-cutter output to a Global Mapper Package file, then load that back in and export normally to DXF/DWG for now.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • LPlateAndy
    LPlateAndy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Mike,

Will do... will also keep an eye out for the direct CAD version

Cheers

Andy
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2009
    Sigbjørn,

Actually all of the PDF settings were remembered EXCEPT the header and footer stuff. I have made those be remembered now. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com