Gridding of large las datasets

chrisgrandinchrisgrandin Global Mapper UserPosts: 23Trusted User
edited May 2013 in Bug Report
Hi,

I'm currently trying to grid from a map catalogue that reference several las files, and I have run into some problems/bugs. There seems that the filter point setting will just effect some of the las files, but not all in the loaded map catalogue. I notice this in version 14.xx but not in 13.xx.

One other thing is when I try to write the resulting grid directly to GMG in combination with the gridding tab in ver 14.xx, Global Mapper load the resulting surface into the mainview. After a while the software thus run into memory problems and crashes.

All the best,
Christofer

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2013
    Christofer,

Was the map catalog created with v14.1? Each LAS file in the catalog can have its own point filter setting, so they might not all be the same. Earlier versions of Global Mapper didn't always save the filter settings selected when adding the LAS to the map catalog, so those might still prompt you. In v14.1 you should get prompted when adding the LAS file, then that will be remembered for each one.

How many grid tiles are you creating GMGs from? The process was updated in v14.1 to automatically load the GMG files back in, but unless you are loading many thousands of GMG files that shouldn't take up much memory as GMG files are very efficient.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited May 2013
    I have updated the gridding straight to GMG files to create a map catalog of the GMG files rather than directly loading them if creating more than 4 grid cells, which should fix any problems from creating thousands of GMG files. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • chrisgrandinchrisgrandin Global Mapper User Posts: 23Trusted User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Mike for the new build! Also sorry for late reply but I wasn't at office for a couple of days.

I have run some tests now 64 bit version GM 14.2, and I found some issues regarding this matter. First thing is that GM seems to crash/hang up every time I change the Lidar Display settings on the Map Catalogue. It crashes/hang up when I return to look at the points.

Second thing is when I create the map catalogue I get prompted for the lidar point import, eg classes and echo number. It will create the map catalogue and I can grid the lidardata. GM will grid the points initally choosed in the import. I have not seen any problems here.

The strange things happens if I use point filters under Configuration>Vector Display>Filter>Points and for instance only choose Lidar, Ground and Lidar, Water. To only show/grid those classes (When I created the map catalogue I had all pointclasses choosed). For some of the original files it will work but on other areas it doesn't, it will just show/grid all the points. In some way it seems that the Filter settings creates conflict with the new Lidar functionality in 14.xx , I used to do the exact same thing in 13.xx.

All the best

Christofer
    edited May 2013
    Christofer,

I took a look and found the problem with the map catalogs. I just made some massive changes to those to support nested map catalogs and had broken something. I've got it fixed now. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

I'm not able to reproduce the issue with the Lidar point type filtering not working. Can you see if it still doesn't work in the new build?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited May 2013
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the fix, it worked excellent for the map catalogs!

When it comes to the filter point settings I still have the same problem. I made a reinstall of GM but that didn't solve it. So far as I have tested, the problem is related to only the groundpoints. The filter setting seem to work when I select classes like water, unclassified etc. But when I choose the groundpoints, there are some areas that still have the unclassified points visable. I tested on different las and laz files and on different areas. I also tested on the same files using GM 13 and then I didn't have the same problem. The las files is Las 1.2, OS Windows 7. I have attached a screendump that shows the problem.
    example.png
    All the best

Christofer
    edited May 2013
    Christofer,

Aha, I found the issue. It was a bug in the filter checking for Lidar. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited May 2013
    Hi Mike,

I tested it and all works perfect now. Big Thanks!

/Christofer