GM 14.1 cannot open large ASCII File

FransFrans Global Mapper UserPosts: 23Trusted User
edited April 2013 in Technical Support
Hi Mike,

Are there restrictions on how large an ASCII (*xyz) GM 14.1 can open?

I have 3 files which are over 12 gig each and GM appears to keep trying to load it but just before it reaches 100% it starts all over again?

I've even purchased a new computer with 16 Gig memory, new HD, processor, etc. , etc. to handle these large files but still no go.

I would like to be able to open it and then grid the data into smaller files.

BTW, great sessions in KL, Malaysia last month. Real educational!

Thanks

Frans

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2013
    Frans,

The progress dialog likely wraps at 4GB so there is a problem with that. For XYZ files that large in v14.1 you will definitely want to load as Lidar point clouds. That will be tremendously more efficient and should load the XYZ files of that size with no problems. Loading as 'point only' data will likely cause you to run out of memory or come close to it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • FransFrans Global Mapper User Posts: 23Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    Frans,

The progress dialog likely wraps at 4GB so there is a problem with that. For XYZ files that large in v14.1 you will definitely want to load as Lidar point clouds. That will be tremendously more efficient and should load the XYZ files of that size with no problems. Loading as 'point only' data will likely cause you to run out of memory or come close to it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation

Hi Mike,

After our email exchange and for the benefit for other Forum members.

The patch you provided worked very well and resolved the issues I had with loading large *xyz files as LiDAR Point Cloud and then exporting and gridding it back as smaller more manageble ASCII data.

In the end I managed to load all 3 *.xyz files to a total off 27Gb simultanously into GM 14.1.6 with the patch and subsequently export and grid it into 915 individual *.xyz files of around 27Mb each.

Then by creating a Map Catalog I'm now in a position to review and edit the individual squares of data within this 100km by 50 km area.

LiDAR Area.png

Many thanks for your assistance.

Frans