Image_link

energyenergy Global Mapper UserPosts: 384Trusted User
edited April 2013 in Technical Support
Hi
a new options in the 14.1 is "picture points" but it need to be improved more,for exemple add the "placed inside selected area(creating area before) or fixed scaled, because only" drag a box options" is sguare,height and width are same,also moving picture manually would be cool.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2013
    When you draw a box to place a picture point the width and height of the box you draw are scaled to maintain the aspect ratio of the image so there isn't any stretching. If it wasn't clamped to the same aspect ratio you would get some very strange looking results in some cases.

In a future release when we upgrade the placement of non-mapping layers we plan on allowing drag and drop of those layers around the map so you could then easily stretch and move the images to improve your map layout. Right now for the picture layers you could right-click on the layer in the Control Center and select to Reposition it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • energyenergy Global Mapper User Posts: 384Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    reposition? is it re-rectify?
    edited April 2013
    Yes it would be re-rectify. Since the images are geo-spatially positioned by the Place Picture Point command you would actually be changing ground coordinates for the image to reposition it. The Shift/Transform option on the right-click menu also works.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • Amanda McDermottAmanda McDermott Global Mapper User Posts: 70Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    Hello, I have a question relating to this thread about the new 'picture points' feature - which I believe is for rectifying images by drawing a box...

It sounds like a really useful feature if I have understood correctly what it is for - but I have been unable to find it! When I bring in an image, my only option for rectifying it manually still seems to be to choose points?

I've had a look in all the other menus etc, but perhaps I've misinterpreted the exact name of the command I'm looking for or something because I can't find it anywhere?

thanks,
    Amanda
    edited April 2013
    Amanda,

The new function is only for placing "picture points", which are basically JPG images from a camera that embeds a GPS location in the JPG header. When you load those rather than seeing the image you just get a camera point icon on the map. When you select that with the Feature Info tool you see the actual image. The new functionality allows you to select one of those with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and select to place it. You can then drag a box on the map to put it where you want.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Amanda McDermottAmanda McDermott Global Mapper User Posts: 70Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks Mike,

That is useful in itself - but if it's not already on your list, it would be great to be able to do that with other images as well please, e.g. when bringing in raster maps...

Amanda
    edited April 2013
    Amanda,

Something like this is on our todo list for more generic raster maps. It will likely need to be more precise for those, providing drag to resize support directly on the map rather than just a single rectangle drag.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation