Global Mapper Pro

Basement Contour map help

ThatNewGuy
ThatNewGuy Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2013 in How I use Global Mapper
G'day.

I was curious if it would be possible to make a contour map of the basement (below the surface rock layers and down) from data I have. I have 3-4 different data sets (with very limited overlap) to work with. Currently, most are being sent to me via .KMZ file (Google earth). The data I want to manipulate gives me a specific depth (below the surface of the earth). That value (meter depth from surface to basement) is what I want to be used by the program to generate a contour map. I have a good topo layer (DAT file), and some assorted other base files.

My questions are:

1. Does the data need to be a part of the individual location data point in google earth for GM to read the data I want to generate the contours?
a. If not, do I need to make an overlay of the data given to me in the KMZ format, and convert all the data to GMW?

2. Which attributes for each point is the one I need to focus on to make the program recognize what I am trying to accomplish (a subsurface contour map)?

3. Which file type do I want the data to be in if I am to use it for this contour creation, or does it make any difference?

I thank you for you time. I'm quite new to the program, and I was asked to generate a contour map a day or so after I got the program. Trying to figure it out on the fly. Cheers.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2013
    You can generate a contour map from any terrain grid data in Global Mapper using the Analysis menu command to Generate Contours. However a KMZ would usually contain either imagery or vector data to start with. Assuming you have 3D vector points or lines/areas, you can load those, then use the Analysis menu command to 'Create Elevation Grid from 3D Vector Data'. If the elevations for the vector features are in some unusual attribute that isn't recognized automatically, you can go to the Options dialog for the layer and set which attribute to use for the elevation first, then create the grid and contour it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • ThatNewGuy
    ThatNewGuy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks alot. There's a good chance I'll track you down again.

*edit: forgot to ask, this is applicable to subsurface features? Do I have to specify if the analysis is done from the surface or from sea level as it tracks the values downward?