Global Mapper v25.0

New User with few Qs calculate distances, etc..

Fad
Fad Global Mapper User
edited April 2013 in How I use Global Mapper
Hi All

I am a new Global Mapper 14v user and managed, successfully, to display two DEMs easily compared to ArcGIS 10.v.

I wonder, however, how to perform 3 tasks;

- export GPS points from excel file?

- Draw a polygon from these GPS and find the center of the polygon?

- Calculate the distances (both the map distance and the actual distance) between two polygons?

Thanks a lot.

Fad.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2013
    Fad,

If you save the points to a CSV file from Excel you can then load that using the File->Open Generic ASCII Text File menu command to load as 'Point Only'. If you then want to connect the points into a line, just select them with the Digitizer Tool then right-click and select the Advanced Feature Creation submenu command to connect the points into a line. That will create a line with all of the points connected by the shortest path between them. You can then select that line and use the right-click Advanced Feature Creation submenu command to create an area from the line. And finally once you have the area you can use the same right-click menu to create points at the centroid of selected areas.

Once you have those centroid points, just use the Measure Tool to draw a line between the centroid points to get the distance between them.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • Fad
    Fad Global Mapper User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks a lot Mike,

I have more Qs, if you don't mind. Is there a way to calculate the map distance (i.e., the straight line between 2 points that doesnt include the elevation, which is different than the actual distance that includes the elevation)? Is there a way to export the map including the DEMs, polygons and centroids to ArcGIS? thanks
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2013
    If you use the Path Profile Tool to draw your line (or select a line with the Digitizer Tool then right-click and select the Analysis submenu command to show the path profile) then Show Path Details option at the bottom of the Options menu on the Path Profile dialog should show you both the 2D distance along the ellipsoid and the 3D distance taking into account the terrain surface.

You can use the File->Export menu commands to export data to a huge number of formats, several of which ArcGIS can use. I would recommend exporting your vector data to Shapefiles and the DEMs to Arc ASCII Grids or USGS DEM format files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/