How do I detecting new points within an area feature?

biobizbiobiz Global Mapper UserPosts: 13Trusted User
edited April 2013 in Vector Data
I am using GEM 14. I would like to be able to determine if points within a new layer can be detected when they overlap an existing area feature such as a range ring on another layer. If this is possible, I would also like to measure the distance of those points from a vertex of the area feature. Thanks for any help on this.:)

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2013
    You can select the area features, then right-click and select the option to select points within the selected areas under the Advanced Selection Options submenu command.

If you convert your areas to line features, you can then select the lines and the points and right-click and select the ADvanced Feature Creation submenu command to connect the points to the selected lines. Then you will get a short line drawn connecting the points to the nearest point on the nearest line feature.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • biobizbiobiz Global Mapper User Posts: 13Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    Mike,

Thanks that works! I would now like to save the points selected within the area feature to an excel file. Is it possible to save the point with attributes description, lat, lon, and distance from a point on the area feature? I appreciate your help.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2013
    Yes, you can copy the points to the clipboard (Ctrl+C), then open a new instance of Global Mapper and use Ctrl+V to paste the features in that. Then you can use the File->Export->Export Vector Data menu command to export them to a new CSV file that you can load right up in Excel.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/