Global Mapper Pro

More output support for raster (land cover) files

bfrazier
bfrazier Global Mapper 14.1.0 User
edited March 2013 in Suggestion Box
Hello,
I have been using Global Mapper for several years now. I originally purchased the product to convert elevation and raster (land cover)files for use in the "Wizard" (Optimi) Propagation Software. Since then I have been utilizing the EDX Signal Pro software for my RF propagation. EDX comes with a conversion tool (which is archaic at best); however, I still have to utilize GM for when I have several files that are downloaded from the USGS seamless server to group them into one file. Here is my issue; or suggestion, EDX's conversion utility (which will convert to the EDX ".GCV" format) can only support the following raster (land cover) formats:
ArcView SHP
Polygon BNA
USGS DEM
MSI Planet
ArcView ASCII Grid
ArcView Binary Grid
ATDI (.SOL)

If there was a way to export a raster (land cover) file from GM to a MSI Planet file that would be great. You have an import from this format, but not an output. Or, am I missing something with one of the EDX conversion Utility formats that GM can output a raster (land cover) file to that EDX will support?
Thank you in advance

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2013
    The MSI Planet format is basically just a raw binary grid (BIL file) with an 'index' and optionally 'projection' file describing the files in a folder. That can be imported but you cannot currently write out the 'index' or 'projection' files. However, you can export grids to some of the other formats listed, like Arc ASCII Grid or USGS DEM for grids, or if you have the land cover as vector areas, the ArcView SHP (Shapefile) exports are available.

Do you need the MSI Planet format as an export or will one of the other formats suffice?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper.php
  • bfrazier
    edited March 2013
    The ArcView ASCII Grid may work (that is how I bring in the terrain elevation data); however, there is not a raster output in GM (that I can see) for that format. I have to bring in the land cover to the propagation tool so that each 30M pixel has its color based on the type of terrain class, then in the propagation tool I assign a average height to that clutter classifications and an attenuation value for pass through loss. I think the propagation tool does some "magic" to reduce the number of clutter classes from 15 to 10 by grouping similar classes together, like like "grasslands (71)" and "pasture/Hay (81)".

My true purpose of the thread was to suggest that GM have a direct output for EDX ".201" files for terrain elevation and ".gcv" for land cover/clutter files as you do for xWizard. because the EDX conversion tool just adds one more step to the process that many who use the EDX Signal Pro tool would appreciate Then you would be able to "hook" the EDX users as you do with the xWizard users now, and once they (the EDX users) start using your tool they will find out how valuable it is in their "tool bag" as I have over the past several years (I think I started with version 8 or 9 back in 2006).
    Thanks again
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2013
    If you can get your land cover layer treated as a grid file you can then export it using the Arc ASCII Grid elevation export. You can do this by perhaps exporting your land cover rendered as grayscale (with the gray value being the land cover code) to an 8-bit BIL file, then load that back in and select that it is elevation when prompted. Make sure to turn off resampling (i.e. make it Nearest Neighbor), then export to Arc ASCII Grid.

Do you have any sample .201 files? Depending on how simple the format is or how well it is documented we may be able to add direct support.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • bfrazier
    edited March 2013
    The EDX ".201 file" is for the terrain elevation only. I can perform this function fine in GM using a ArcView ASCII Gridoutput in GM, then utilizing the EDX conversion tool I can convert that file as a ".201" for use in EDX. The EDX ".gcv" format is for the land cover file.
    The USGS Seamless Server download for land cover is a GeoTIFF file, they usually will be several of the "blocks" to download for a given area. I'll use GM to put all the blocks into one then export. As I stated in an earlier part of the thread, there are only a few formats that the EDX conversion utility will allow you to use for land cover import.
    I have attached a "DropBox" hyperlink that contains the EDX conversion utility along with a sample of a ".201" terrain elevation file and a ".gcv or .501" land cover file for you. There is a read me file in the zip folder.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p1yhxtlkxqxc1al/4Z3s5pHe57
    I'll leave that information in the DropBox untill 03-27-2013 5:00PM EST
    Thank you once again
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2013
    I took a look at the files in the Dropbox. Both the .201 and .501 format files were raw binary files so without a format specification it would be nearly impossible to add support for them. So you may be stuck using the conversion utility to get those particular formats.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru