Element Configuration File

b52gunrb52gunr Global Mapper UserPosts: 2
edited March 2013 in Vector Data
This is my first day with Global Mapper (V14.1). I have a tiff image of an airport and associated shapefiles (dbf, prj, sbn, sbx and shp) that are being laid over the airport image to define specific elements of the airport. I would like to know how to configure GM so that when the shape files are loaded they automatically assume the attribute color for the specific feature (runway, taxiway shoulder, apron, etc). I have set up the custom area styles using the configuration window. All elements are presently arriving as "Unknown line type." I can assign the area types I have set up and saved and it displays fine. I can save as a workspace but I want to be able to have GM change to the desired color/fill each time new shapefiles are loaded. Is this possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2013
    If you go to the Area Styles (or Line Styles, depending on what you have) tab of the Options dialog for the layer you can setup the styling based on some attribute in the files that defines the types. That style setup will save to workspaces and you can also save it to a file to apply to other files.

If you want to get fancy you can also setup a script to run that does some complex style and/or type assignment, then just run that script to modify your loaded data.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • RSVectorRSVector Global Mapper User Posts: 108Trusted User
    edited March 2013
    I have a similar problem, where I have defined several custom line types with a couple attributes. When I save and reopen the workspace some of the line types lose their attributes.
    edited March 2013
    What version are you using? The per-type attribute lists should be stored in the user data folder listed on the Help->About dialog. Is that possibly set to some location that you don't have write access for? If so that would cause several types of settings to not be saved out when you close Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • b52gunrb52gunr Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    I had similar issues with some of the objects not retaining the assigned attributes until I realized that I had some of the custom styles entered with inappropriate object types (Line Types instead of Area Types, Point Types instead of Line Types). Once the custom styles were corrected to the proper style to match the object, everything worked ok. I was then able to write the scripts to match the proper styles. (Area_Type, Point_Type, Line_Type)
    Example:

GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION=1.00
    IMPORT FILENAME="D:\AirportData\KSEA_v1_20130131\AMDB\Shapefiles\AM_AerodromeReferencePoint.shp" TYPE=SHAPEFILE POINT_TYPE=AM_AerodromeReferencePoint
    IMPORT FILENAME="D:\AirportData\KSEA_v1_20130131\AMDB\Shapefiles\AM_AerodromeSurfaceLighting.shp" TYPE=SHAPEFILE POINT_TYPE=AM_AerodromeSurfaceLighting
    IMPORT FILENAME="D:\AirportData\KSEA_v1_20130131\AMDB\Shapefiles\AM_ApronElement.shp" TYPE=SHAPEFILE AREA_TYPE=AM_ApronElement
    IMPORT FILENAME="D:\AirportData\KSEA_v1_20130131\AMDB\Shapefiles\AM_ArrestingGearLocation.shp" TYPE=SHAPEFILE LINE_TYPE=AM_ArrestingGearLocation
    IMPORT FILENAME="D:\AirportData\KSEA_v1_20130131\AMDB\Shapefiles\AM_Blastpad.shp" TYPE=SHAPEFILE AREA_TYPE=AM_Blastpad
    IMPORT FILENAME="D:\AirportData\KSEA_v1_20130131\AMDB\Shapefiles\AM_ConstructionArea.shp" TYPE=SHAPEFILE AREA_TYPE=AM_ConstructionArea
    IMPORT FILENAME="D:\AirportData\KSEA_v1_20130131\AMDB\Shapefiles\AM_DeicingArea.shp" TYPE=SHAPEFILE AREA_TYPE=AM_DeicingArea

Thanks,

Don Ely
    What version are you using? The per-type attribute lists should be stored in the user data folder listed on the Help->About dialog. Is that possibly set to some location that you don't have write access for? If so that would cause several types of settings to not be saved out when you close Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • RSVectorRSVector Global Mapper User Posts: 108Trusted User
    edited March 2013
    I am using version 14.1.0 with a couple patches you sent me. The dflt_attrs_lines.txt is being updated (the time of last edit reflects the time I made changes), some of the line types are in the file but others are not. Is there a limit to the number of characters in a file or in a line style name?
    edited March 2013
    There shouldn't be any limits on length. The only types that would be in the file would be those that you've added default attribute lists to. Can you reproduce adding some default attributes to a type and then it not saving to that file when you close? Is it possible that you had multiple instances of Global Mapper open when you were adding the attributes? If so then whichever instance was closed last would win in terms of which attribute lists were saved.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru