Global Mapper v25.0

Visualizing a Brine Surface in Bathymetry Grid

naugustin
naugustin Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2013 in Technical Support
Hi, I was looking to the forum now since a while and tried a lot in GM but can not figure out how to do what I want. Here´s my problem in brief:

I have bathymetric data of a marine depression which is partially filled with a high saline brine. The depth of the border from normal seawater to high salinities is known and I like to put an area feature into this depression to visualize the brine-surface-area.

I tried to do that with an area-feature what I gave the surface depth as an additional attribute. If I look in the 3D view then I get an idea of what I want but I could not manage to get the area of the brine surface only so far.

Is that somehow possible to do? I use Global Mapper 14.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

Cheers, Nico

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2013
    Nico,

If you want the surface area of the brine, try selecting your area in the Digitizer Tool, then right-clicking and selecting the Measure submenu option to Measure Volume. You can do a cut-and-fill volume calculation at the brine surface depth. You should then get the surface area of the brine that is "fill", which would be where the terrain goes below the cut height. The cut would be above, but you wouldn't care about that.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • naugustin
    naugustin Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2013
    Hi Mike,

thanks for the hint - the "problem" is that I still can not visualize the brine-surface only by that. Indeed I get out the size of the area and the volume of the brine as numbers, what is cool too. May I did things wrong, but what I like to do is to show the brine in the map. The screen grab in my first post (in the 3D view only) shows a little what I like to do - a colored, semi-transparent layer representing the brine surface.

Cheers, Nico
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2013
    Nico,

Ah for that the simplest thing is just to turn on the water display in the 3D viewer and on the 3D view options dialog (right button on 3D toolbar) set the water level to the brine surface level. Then you can easily see the level.

There are some other approaches like using Analysis->Generate Contours to generate an area feature at just the single "contour" height, but for just visualization the water level option is quickest.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • naugustin
    edited February 2013
    Thank you Mike!
    turning on the water display is not an option because I have more than just one brine pool in different water depths.
    But I made it working now with your second hint :-)
    1. creating an area around the depression
    2. creating a specific contour line within that area
    3. edit the contours and make with the "advanced feature creation" a new area out of the contours...

That works good for me.
    Thanks for the help!

Cheers, Nico
  • naugustin
    edited February 2013
    Here how it looks now.

Sample.png
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2013
    Nico,

There's actually an option to create an area from directly in the contour generation dialog, but it looks like you're done in any case.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru