Digitizing Area Shapes

DustyRobinsonDustyRobinson Global Mapper UserPosts: 114Trusted User
edited October 2007 in Suggestion Box
When digitizing a new Rectangular/Square area the shape is made by clicking the center and then dragging the size of the square out from that point. I find that I have to attempt this a few times to actually get the area I want.

I think it would be more user friendly if the new shape was made by selecting two corners of the rectangle/square. So instead of clicking the middle first, you would select one corner and then drag the square to the opposing corner. This is the way most CAD/GIS platforms create rectangular shapes and it works very well.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2007
    With the v9.00 release of Global Mapper you can already do that. Just hold down the 'T' key when left clicking to start the rectangle/square area and the top left will be the anchor rather than the center.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DanielDaniel Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited October 2007
    Mike, I'm curious if it would be more intuative to reverse the default to drag point-to-point, like most other apps -- and allow for a hotkey to do the proportional drag. Basically, you'd just be reversing the functions.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2007
    That's something to consider, the only problem is that I'm guessing there was a reason that it was done the other way to start with (likely user request), so I'm afraid there's no way to make everyone happy. It does seem more intuitive to me starting at the top left corner though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DanielDaniel Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited October 2007
    Considering that most area features are created from a central point area or coordinate -- it makes sense why someone would have requested it. I just think it'd be more intuative to newer end-users who are familiar with common tool strategy (even though it's not really the same tool per se).

I admit, I've foung it a little confusing -- especially when going from one app to another. It's similar to going from PC to Mac and readjusting... "Oh wait, Mac is Apple Key, Option, not Ctrl, Alt. Ugh!"

Thanks for taking it into consideration!