Global Mapper Pro

Creation of fitted plane of an area?

Hendrik
Hendrik Global Mapper User
edited January 2013 in Elevation Data
Hello.

For a project, I need to have a fitted plane which describes my TIN as good as possible.
So I have a TIN, but now I need an area/plane which has an elevation, aspect and slope value which is the average of the TIN.

Is is possible to do this with global mapper 12?

Best regards,
Hendrik

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2013
    Hendrik,

The TIN should already consist of 3D area features (triangles), do you perhaps want an elevation grid created from the TIN? You can get that by right-clicking on the TIN layer in the Control Center and selecting the option to create an elevation grid. You can render that grid with a normal elevation shader, or also the Slope or Slope Direction (Aspect) shaders.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • Hendrik
    Hendrik Global Mapper User
    edited January 2013
    Hello Mike,

thanks again for the FAST reply!
    But I think that my question was a little bit to short/not detailled enough.

I need only one (kind of a disc) plane which describes the whole TIN. So in my case I have a 500 m buffer around one point. And I got the elevation contours and a TIN of this buffer. But now I need an average slope and slope direction of the whole area.

When I'm only summarizing the slope values of the ~800 small TIN-polygons, the result is not correct. Because this kind of calculation doesn't take care of the up-or downhill direction of the TIN.

I tried to create an elevation grid of the buffer with the sme size (grid size 1000 x 1000 m) but this unfortunately didn't work neither...

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
    Hendrik
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2013
    Hendrik,

If you create an elevation grid from the TIN and/or contour area, then also combine all of the TIN areas into a single new area, you can then select that large area and choose the option in the Digitizer Tool to calculate elevation statistcs for the area. That will give you the min/max/average slope and elevation for the entire area.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/