Global Mapper v25.0

statistics tools

energy
energy Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2014 in Suggestion Box
Hi
it would be great if there are some statics tools like histograms and pie charts in the GM(especially GME) like Arc, mapinfo also mapviewer...

Thanks...

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2012
    Are there any particular pie charts that would be the most interesting? For histograms would it just be for raster/imagery layers?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • energy
    energy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2012
    I have hundreds of also thousands borehole points and its several attributes(position,elevation values,coal feature....) for exeple I'd lie to see ash,humidity,carbon...values on the pie chart also calorification values on the hisogram(mean, deviation....)
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2012
    I have added this to our task list as internal item 11289. I agree that some additional statistics reporting would be very useful and could be added perhaps to the Metadata dialog for layers or as a completely new Statistics option.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited July 2014
    Hello,
    energy wrote: »
    I have hundreds of also thousands borehole points and its several attributes(position,elevation values,coal feature....) for exeple I'd lie to see ash,humidity,carbon...values on the pie chart also calorification values on the hisogram(mean, deviation....)

I am beginning implementation of some graphing capabilities for Global Mapper 16, and I am trying to get a better idea of your requirements. (I realize it has been a while since the original request.) Could you elaborate on the graphs described above?

If anyone else has graphing requirements, feel free to describe them here as well. Please include as much detail as possible.

Thanks,

Bob
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Hello Bob,

One of the things I ran into yesterday was the following issue:

I have a point dataset shapefile with square footage values for each point. Let's say I have around 100,000 points in this dataset.

I jumped to the "STATS - Report Statistics for Values.." option in the attribute table. I have some info there but what would really help is to be able and:

Have an option of "create a bar chart for this column". Here, you would just supply a few parameters to make this happen: number of bars (here I mean the number of categories) and the range of colors (or color ramps). If I would enter 5 categories and a red palette, I would get:

- first, it should (and already does) calculate the min and max values of the column (let's say we have a min of 0 sqft and a max of 500,000 sqft)
    - the first bar: 0 - 100,000 sqft with a fated red color;
    - second bar: 100,000 - 200,000 sqft with a stronger red than the previous;
    - third bar: 200,000 - 300,000 sqft with a stronger red than the previous;
    - fifth bar: 400,000 - 500,000 sqft with the most intense red color;

*the height of the bar should be the number of points that are located in the specific category;

Although we already have some info from the Stats, you cannot make a clear image of what you have inside that column. What I suggested, would automatically give you an idea of how many points are in one category and highlight some interesting things from the attribute data. Of course the new feature could take other parameters (like starting min and max value, to skip zeros for example / define your own ranges for the categories) and styling options (width, h, labels) but I am not going into that now.

This is just one idea that I came across yesterday and I wanted to write it down as a new thread but it fits perfectly here I guess.

Robert,
  • energy
    edited July 2014
    I mean creating graphing maps forexample "pie chart maps", starbust maps",bar chart maps" ,you can see "Rockworks software" ,Arcmap" also maptidude(caliper) I give an example,I'd like to see rate of the gravel,sand,clay or ash,humidity,carbor for every boreholes as graphically on the whole boreholes map.
    Global mapper is a my main favorite software ,also you improve that a lot however I thing that have 2 lack. first is above ,secondly ,dynamic(movable,enlared,shrinked) adding text,picture... ,poor north arrow,scale,legend... like arcmap(insert) or surfer(adding text or picture)
  • bmg_bob
    edited July 2014
    Hi Robert,
    RobertR wrote: »
    Have an option of "create a bar chart for this column". Here, you would just supply a few parameters to make this happen: number of bars (here I mean the number of categories) and the range of colors (or color ramps). If I would enter 5 categories and a red palette, I would get:

This sounds like a histogram for an attribute from a vector data set. I was already looking at creating a histogram for a raster data set, so it should not be difficult to apply the same logic to vector data.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bmg_bob
    edited July 2014
    Hello,
    I give an example,I'd like to see rate of the gravel,sand,clay or ash,humidity,carbor for every boreholes as graphically on the whole boreholes map.

I am not familiar with borehole data, and I am trying to understand how you would like this data to be displayed. Is this a case where each of these categories (gravel, sand, etc.) is a separate attribute on a borehole feature? Are you looking for a chart that summarizes the totals for an entire data set? For example, a pie chart that is divided into sections for gravel, sand, etc. Also, would it be possible for you to post a small sample of your borehole data here (or send it via e-mail to geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com)?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Bob
  • energy
    edited July 2014
    forexample I have ash, humidity, fixed carbon and volatile matter values,also they are attributes in borehole maps in GM, the total values are %100
    I'd like to create a pie chart map or bar chart map including ash,humidity,fixed carbon,volatile matter for everyboreholes.
    at the same time, this can be used for age of population or elections.
  • bmg_bob
    edited July 2014
    Hello,
    I'd like to create a pie chart map or bar chart map including ash,humidity,fixed carbon,volatile matter for everyboreholes.

Are you looking for a separate chart for each borehole, or a single chart that summarizes the data for a group of selected boreholes?

Cheers,

Bob
  • energy
    edited July 2014
    yes firstly separate chart for each borehole, single chart for all boreholes or selected boreholes can be created via excell or etc.
    and than import in the GM as raster.
  • bmg_bob
    edited September 2014
    Hello energy,

I am beginning implementation of a functionality that will allow you to define a bar graph or pie chart based on attribute information associated with a single feature. This graph will probably be accessed via the Feature Information window that is displayed when you click on a feature using the Feature Info Tool.

Since you are someone who would seem likely to use this function, I was wondering if you could provide a small subset of your borehole data for use in my testing.

Thank you,

Bob
  • energy
    edited September 2014
    Hello, graphs and charts options are so good but I have waited graphs and charts MAPS for every one points etc.
  • bmg_bob
    edited November 2014
    Hello,

The most recent update to Global Mapper 16 (version 16.0.5) includes the option to create a graph from a single feature, using a group of attributes as the graph values. To create a graph:
    1. Use the Feature Info tool to select a vector feature.
    2. Click the Graphs... button.
    3. On the Graph and Chart Manager dialog, click the New... button.
    4. Fill in the graph Title on the General tab.
    5. On the Data Series tab, choose the type of graph (bar graph or pie chart)
    6. The Source Data will automatically be set to <Selected Feature>
    7. The Value Attribute will automatically be set to <Multiple>. Click the ... button to choose the attributes that will provide data for the graph. You will see your graph in the Preview section.
    8. The other options can be used to change the display styles, etc.
    9. When you are done, click OK. Your graph definition will be saved, and the graph will be displayed in the graph display window.
    Once you have defined a graph, that definition can be used for any feature that contains the attributes included in the graph definition.

Cheers,

Bob
  • energy
    edited November 2014
    I think I cant explain exactly, I mean that the MAP including graphs or charts for everyone points , like in arcgis, mapinfo, especially Maptitude. Analyze Real Estate Trends
    Areas of Influence
    Regulatory Compliance
  • bmg_bob
    edited December 2014
    Hello,

Those examples provide a good illustration of what you are looking for. I have added feature request #14968 to our task list so that we can evaluate implementation of this capability in a future version of Global Mapper.

Cheers,

Bob