Global Mapper v24.0

can you import google mars files to global mapper?

TRIPLE THR333
TRIPLE THR333 Global Mapper User
edited January 2013 in GIS Data Sources
Hello,I have found an Elevational Anomaly(EA) on 'google mars' and it does not readily show up in any spacecraft imagery from Viking all the way to MRO.

It casts no shadows and I wish to vet it as either a real mound or just a software glitch.
Can Global mapper work with google Earth/Mars?

I believe it is just a data-error of some sort in the DEM? So any Help would be appreciated.
Thanx.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2012
    While there isn't any way to directly pull in the raw data from Google Earth/Mars, Global Mapper can likely read in whatever raw format the terrain data for Mars is in that Google Mars is built off of. Do you know what data source Google Mars used to build their terrain? Perhaps something from the Mars Observer?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • TRIPLE THR333
    edited December 2012
    Thank You.concave_convex.gifI have provided a graphic that I marked up to roughly delineate the Area(mound?) in question.

.triple333.jpg

I believe it is MOLA laser altimeter data overlaid with ESA HRSC imagery.

.triple333 2.jpg
  • TRIPLE THR333
    edited December 2012
    In the jpeg image examples provided for reference ,what I failed to convey in my last post is that it is an example of such diverse topography that from the perspective I chose,That perspective was specifically to show that there is a clear depression in the foreground and mountains to the sides.Also evident is the Mound in question especially when compared to the planar horizon.
    This is obviously not a flat feature if a true DEM yet it casts no discernable shadow.

Thank anyone who has the technical accumen to either confirm or falsify this prominence that does not appear readily visible in imagery.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2012
    It could simply be a spurious data sample in the terrain data. I'm not sure what the resolution of the terrain data is at that spot, so it could be that the individual samples represent a large area and are just smoothed into surrounding ones, so a single bad sample could cause a hill or depression of a size comparable to the terrain resolution. If you can get the MOLA terrain data for that location you should be able to load it into Global Mapper and see if there are any elevation spikes there. It would also be possible to visualize the data without resampling in Global Mapper if you want so you can see exactly how large each sample is.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • TRIPLE THR333
    edited January 2013
    It came to my attention google mars was updated...

New Google Mars Has More Coverage, More Detail and More Awesome
    By Adam Mann 11.06.122:14 PM
    Need a Zen break from obsessively checking the polls every 20 minutes? Maybe you should fly over an updated and ultra-detailed view of the Martian landscape in Google Mars looking for incredible formations.
    Google Mars has been available since 2009 as part of the free downloadable Google Earth. It allows viewers to zoom around the Red Planet in much higher resolution than the simpler browser version and will even render certain locations in 3-D. You can reach it by clicking the little orange Saturn-shaped button at the top of the screen in Google Earth.
    Most areas of Google Earth are covered at a resolution of about 50 feet per pixel, though some cities and other select locations can usually be seen at as much as 12 inches per pixel. Previously Google Mars had nowhere near this level of detail except in small patches covered by the HiRISE camera on Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which can see down to about 12 inches per pixel.
    Google has now updated their Mars coverage by including large swaths from the Context Camera (CTX) on NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

Read more here:
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/11/updated-google-mars/
    So I made this "NEW" video to show that the mount has now obtained a sharp apex.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU6rzN1CL80&list=UUBL_nSHEeyTqwonpdmOyVBA&index=2
    Anyone with technical skills to pull MOLA data??? - Please Watch.