Zoom to View in Google Earth..

RobertRRobertR GlobalMapper Fan!Posts: 285Trusted User
edited November 2012 in Bug Report
...does not work for me.

hello all,

I am using GM v14.0 (b102312) on 64bit. When I choose to View the area in Google Earth, it opens the program (Google Earth) but it does not center on the location. Is just opens Google Earth.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2012
    If you choose the option again once Google Earth is already open does it then pan Google Earth to the desired location? There are some issues with some combination of 32-bit/64-bit GM and 32-bit/64-bit GE that don't set the view if GE wasn't already open, but they should work once it is open.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • RobertRRobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Posts: 285Trusted User
    edited November 2012
    Hello Mike,

I was aware of this workaround but it does not pan to the current location even if Google Earth is open. I know I had this issue on GM v13 64-bit and there it worked but in this case, it does not.
    edited November 2012
    Is the lat/lon location of the data shown in Global Mapper prior to push the button? I am just wondering if maybe your data is loaded in the wrong projection so no lat/lon can be determined.

Assuming that isn't it, I wonder if you can try the 32-bit version of GM and see if it works to launch Google Earth from there?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • RobertRRobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Posts: 285Trusted User
    edited November 2012
    The projection is not the problem as lat long is loaded prior to push the button.

Also, with the 32 bit version it works but I still have to push the button twice in this case.

So I guess something is off in the 64bit version on Windows 7 Professional.
    edited November 2012
    There have always been some issues with the 64-bit version as Google Earth doesn't have an external connector library for 64-bit applications, so kind of a hack way that doesn't seem to work on all systems has to be used.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • yianniyianni Global Mapper User Posts: 93Trusted User
    Hi all

the problem is back

I am running Global Mapper v18.2 and just got yesterday (cursed day!)  the latest google earth pro, build date is Feb 6th 2018.

Should have kept the old one as I constantly select features and when selected I choose to see them in GE by running a "zoom view in google earth" shortcut.

Note that it doesn't work even when I have already run google earth.

I have noticed that although I have set all my kml/kmz files to open with GE as a default file viewer, when I double click on the files in windows, windows complains and says that this is not a valid Win32 application, which is a load of tarp of course.

I remember this happening with an older version of GE/GM and I had to wait a fair bit actually until I got both software packages updated..

Is there a quick and easy patched fix?

Generally speaking is there a way to make Global Mapper future proof to any of the GE upgrades / patches?
    It is a very sweet feature for onshore pipelines to be able to select some features, press a shortcut key and have them thrown on google earth straight away and it is v frustrating loosing it when someone releases an "upgrade".

Any thought?

thanks all

y