Global Mapper v25.0

3D Vector Objects and visualization using attributes in 3D

Fdarma
Fdarma Global Mapper User
edited November 2012 in Technical Support
Hello,

I am not sure this is possible...but I'll ask anyway. I have v14 of Global Mapper

I want to record the production history of an open pit mine. The goal is to be able to visualize the recovery of certain material per gross volume mined (for example for 1000cf mined, we got 10% iron, 12% silver, ectc...). Having a 3D view of this would help predict the recovery in future development of the same mine.

I get a DEM in 2011, and a DEM in 2012. The volume in between is what I have quarried. I want to be able to "cut" that volume into several 3D vector objects to which I would attach attributes based on our production record (% of each metal for example)

I would put these 3D objects on layers according to the month of production so I could "build" back the volume between 2011 and 2012, colouring those object according to an attribute.

I realize this is probably obscure...but I seems that I need a GIS not only on the 2D, but really 3D.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Frank

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2012
    Frank,

You can easily calculate the volume between the DEMs in v14 to calculate the volume that was mined, but it sounds like you also want actual 3D objects created in the areas of difference between the DEMs, correct? That's something you can't really do currently. What you could do is export each terrain surface independently to a 3D DXF Face file, then load that back in so you have 3D vector areas of the terrain surface. You could then maybe set those 3D face layers to use different drawing styles for the areas and visualize them both in 3D. You still wouldn't have a feature that represents the volume in between though. I'm afraid that's just beyond the immediate capabilities of Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Fdarma
    Fdarma Global Mapper User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks a lot for your answer! First time I ask a question, never thought I'd get a response in a couple of hours on a Sunday night. Pretty impressive.
    I will try the 3D DXF route, and see what I get. Then, maybe I can try a CAD software to re-build the volume "in between the surface". There must be a software out there that can do that.