Global Mapper v25.0

Transferring a GMP - results not as expected

Celeste
Celeste Global Mapper User
edited November 2012 in Technical Support
Hi Mike,

I recently created a GMP that consists of several shape file layers, one of which was sections (as in Section-TWNSP-RANGE) that were color-coded by operator. I used Options--> Area Styles and selected Apply Styling based on Attribute/Name Values, selected my attribute from the list, and set all of the colors and styles. When my client opened the .gmp in his GlobalMapper, all of the colors and styles appeared correctly on the map, but when he chose Options-->Area Styles, and chose the same Attribute, none of my style settings were available for him to edit, even though everything looked great on screen. Is this the way package files work? Or is the style information for that layer available somewhere else for him to edit?

Thanks for all your help. BTW I got the symbols to work :o

Celeste

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2012
    Celeste,

The GMP format actually separately stores a style for each feature, so that will actually be stored right with each feature when you export to GMP. If you instead saved a workspace file and provided the original data file then the attribute-based styling would be present as that is a setting in the workspace and not something in the data file itself. For example you might load the same GMP file multiple times and apply different attribute-based styling to it so you can visualize the same data multiple different ways. This doesn't affect the GMP file itself but is an external setting.

Something else you could do is export to GMP prior to applying the styling, then load that GMP and setup the Area Styles option, then save a workspace (.gmw) file and provide that along with the .gmp.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com