Global Mapper v25.0

import location data points

pjtimm
pjtimm Global Mapper User
edited October 2012 in Technical Support
I have loaded a set of LIdar elevation data into which I am attempting to import locational data points. The import appears to work properly but, the trouble is, I can not view the points. The new point layer shows up in the Overlay control center and I am able to "zoom to selected layer" where the points should be but, I am unable to view or select any points. They are there, yet they are not. How can I make these data points visible?
Thanks for any help.
Pedro

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2012
    Pedro,

If you drag a box with the Digitizer Tool can you select any of the points? The Lidar points are (currently) just drawn as single pixel dots, so they can be hard to see when zoomed in on them. You might also check the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog and make sure that you haven't turned off point display or any of the Lidar point types are turned off in the filter.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • pjtimm
    pjtimm Global Mapper User
    edited October 2012
    Mike,
    Thanks again. It was the filter issue I was missing. Configuration/Vector Display tab, Filter header/Points button. I turned all filters on and the points popped up. Beautiful. I am, however, missing the distinction between points and point styles. It seems purposefully confusing. I believe point styles to be a heading under which various point 'types' can be grouped. How close am I with that distinction between points and point styles?
    Thanks again for your help, past and present.
    Pedro
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2012
    Pedro,

Basically each point type is assigned a default point style (symbol and font) that features of that type will be rendered with (note that Lidar is a bit special as the elevation of the point can define the color). You can add new custom symbols and assign the same style to multiple types. In addition, an individual point feature has a single point type. It can also be marked to either use the default point style for the type it is assigned, or have its own custom point style that overrides the default. So they are completely separate, but related things, with pretty much any combination allowed for total flexibility, but also the potential for confusion.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com