Global Mapper v25.0

Beginner question on geoPDF exporting and points being rasterized

firemanx
firemanx Global Mapper User
edited October 2012 in Raster Data
Hello all,

Let me first begin by saying that I think this piece of software is incredible. I am no GIS professional by any means, however this software has helped me learn some of the basic functions as such. Forgive me if I don't use the appropriate terminology.

So, I have a raster image as a "base map", it is georeferenced. I am attempting to place points with a custom icon as a seperate layer and export them as a geoPDF. I am able to place the points with my custom symbol (PNG) and the resolution of these symbols look great in GM, however when I export the raster and the point layer together, GM seems to rasterize my points and make them incredibly pixelated. I envisioned that my point layer would remain as a vector type layer and I would be able to zoom into those icons without any pixelation issues in the PDF format.

I'd like to accomplish exporting the raster base map, with the crisp icon point, rather than having it rasterized also, which I don't know if it's possible or not.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

One of the sreenshots depicts the image in GM, the other is from the exported PDF.
Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2012
    Are you exporting your PDF using the File->Export PDF menu command or printing to a PDF? You would definitely want to use the former rather than the latter as it should keep the points as vectors and actually embed the symbol images to display.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • firemanx
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am exporting the PDF data rather than printing to PDF format. I did find that if I choose the export vector option then select PDF as the format, everything stays intact as I was hoping.

Thanks so much for the help. By the way, is the only way to rotate a point label through the properties option or is there a simple drag and rotate option that might be found in a graphic editor?

Thanks again.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2012
    There is not a drag and rotate option available for point symbols, you can currently only manually enter the rotation angle.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • firemanx
    edited October 2012
    Thank you for the fantastic support!
  • BillB
    BillB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2012
    Hi Mike

I am having the same problem when using File->Export PDF menu command. Vector symbols (the default point symbols) are being rasterised when output to PDF. Can you indicate which settings (vector display, point styles, export etc) might be giving this result? (Using V13.2)

Thanks

Bill
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2012
    Bill,

There isn't a setting for this, currently all symbols are rasterized for export to PDF. There is not currently a way to get the vector representation of the symbol in the PDF file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • BillB
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the response Mike, but I'm slightly confused. In reponse to fireman above, you say
    "You would definitely want to use the former rather than the latter as it should keep the points as vectors and actually embed the symbol images to display."
    Do you mean that the export to PDF keeps the point symbols seperate but correctly located, and not embedded within an overal image? Noting fieman's hydrant symbol above, is there a maximum size (eg 32x32px) for a user PNG to be imported as a point symbol?

Thanks

Bill
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2012
    Bill,

Yes, the PDF export keeps the point features separate (and areas and lines too) and the symbols are embedded as PNG images. The features will even be assigned layers so you can easily turn them on and off in Acrobat or when loading back into Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • BillB
    edited October 2012
    Thanks Mike

1) Is there a maximum size (eg 32x32px) for a user PNG to be imported as a point symbol?

2) What determines the resolution of the symbol PNG in the PDF? PDF export resolution? / defined size of symbol?

Bill
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2012
    Bill,

There is not any maximum size for the custom symbol PNG files.

The size of a symbol in the PDF will be determined by the DPI used for the export, the specified symbol scale on the PDF export dialog, and the pixel size of the PNG image.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • BillB
    edited October 2012
    Thanks Mike, we'll do some playing...