Cropping and Map Catalog problem

altruistaaltruista Global Mapper UserPosts: 3
edited August 2013 in Technical Support
Hi,
I have many rasters (Russian topo maps) in png with *.gmw format with cropped collar. For example,
"no cropping":
1.jpg

"Crop to Manually Specified Lat/Lon Boundary":
2.jpg

4 maps with cropped collar:
3.jpg

All is ok. However, when I create the map catalog ("Create Map Catalog from Selected Layer(s)...") from these selected maps, I see the collar!
4.jpg

What is wrong? What can i do so that collars won't show?

Thanks,
Vad
1.jpg 190.7K
2.jpg 188.7K
3.jpg 183.2K
4.jpg 178.9K

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2012
    Vad,

When you add the maps to the map catalog any layer options don't come with them. You instead need to press the 'Modify Display of Raster Layers' button on the map catalog options dialog and setup the same cropping there and it will apply to all layers in the map catalog.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • OlexaOlexa Global Mapper User Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    'Modify Display of Raster Layers' button on the map catalog options dialog sets cropping for entire map catalog. But as you can see, Vad needs individual cropping for each raster in the catalog. I have the same question. Is there any way to do that?
    edited July 2013
    You will want to use the 'Snap to Manually Specified Degree Boundary' option to snap to some degree multiplier near the edge of each map rather than a fixed lat/lon boundary. That way you can snap the collar off of every map all at once.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • DGriffithDGriffith Global Mapper User Posts: 70Trusted User
    edited July 2013
    Mike,

This is an old thread but hopefully you will see this.

Does snapping to a Manually Specified Degree Boundary work with maps of different scales and/or extents? For example within one catalog I may have a set of files at 1:250,000 and another set of files at 1:50,000 that would have different degree boundaries.

One feature that appears to be missing from the catalogs is groups. If we could maintain the groups that we have in the workspace that would considerably simplify the problem of having to recrop files in catalogs.

Thanks in advance for your support.
    David
    edited July 2013
    Yes the 'Manually Specified Degree Boundary' option will work for any scale so long as they snap to the same degree boundary multiple. For example if they are all aligned on at least at 0.25 degree boundary (even though the 1:250,000 might be at a full 1 degree) then 0.25 would work for all, so long as none of the 1:250k maps had collars over 0.25 degrees in actual size.

I think generally you would want to have separate catalogs for different scales of maps though rather than putting them all in one.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • DGriffithDGriffith Global Mapper User Posts: 70Trusted User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Mike. Making separate catalogs and then using the Manually Specified Degree Boundary Option to crop all the files in the catalog worked well.

David