Win 32 Exception error on startup of GPS Tracking

coopy_1989coopy_1989 Global Mapper UserPosts: 20
edited October 2012 in Bug Report
Hi Guys,

Have just recently experienced a problem trying to connect to a serial GPS device, in both GM12 (b101611) and GM13 (b080812).

The error message is the following.

Win 32 Exception: "Read access violation at data address 0x00000000 program address 0x00580138 in background thread"

As this is occuring in both versions (e.g. even v12, which we have done days of GPS tracking in the past) I have a feeling that this could be a windows issue, however i am unsure.

Anyone head or seen this issue before - or have any idea how to fix or what may be causing it.

Thanks,

Coopy

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2012
    Coopy,

Does that error happen immediately when you start tracking the GPS? Is that the error from v12 or v13? The error actually looks like an attempted read from a NULL pointer and the address is in some Global Mapper code, but doesn't exactly match up as I have a different build. Can you get the latest v13 build from the links below and see what the error is in that? I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • coopy_1989coopy_1989 Global Mapper User Posts: 20
    edited September 2012
    Thanks Mike for the swift reply.

As i was beginning a survey (nice way to start the day when the GPS tracker wont work!) i did not notice the difference between the GM12 and GM13 error codes - as we were at sea for the days work. Ill post all below so there is no confusion.

Re when the error is thrown up, i think it is just as the GPS connects and begins to collect data, as it does not get thrown up immediatly when clicking the Start tracking function, but rather a moment later (~3-4 seconds).

GM12 (b101611)
    Win 32 Exception: "Read access violation at data address 0x00000000 program address 0x00580138 in background thread"

GM13 (b080812)
    Win 32 Exception: "Read access violation at data address 0x00000000 program address 0x0045E9C8 in background thread"

GM13 (b091412) - updated build.
    Win 32 Exception: "Read access violation at data address 0x00000000 program address 0x0045E308 in background thread"

The reason i think it is a windows issue is that this error appeared literally overnight, and had been working for the last 10 days of survey fine.

Null Pointer?? - can you enlighten the less tech savvy.

Thanks again for your patience and efforts.

Coopy.
    edited September 2012
    Coopy,

Oh that helps a lot! I was able to identify the function where the crash is happening and after examining the code found a problem that would cause that crash if you had selected the option on the GPS->Setup dialog to load to a NMEA text file but the file that you selected to save to couldn't be opened for writing. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Can you try this build before changing that setting just to confirm that was indeed the issue?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • coopy_1989coopy_1989 Global Mapper User Posts: 20
    edited October 2012
    Hi Guys,

I updated the GM13 build, and it solved the issue - so thanks for that.

I also had an experiment with the GM12 version and as was suggested, the Log NEMA sequences to file had been selected, where it could not find/access the specified file to write the sequences to - and then crashed. Once the Log NEMA box was unticked, the issue dissapeared.

I noticed that in the fix when the log NEMA sequences is selected GM will (re)make the file which to log the sequences to, and then log the sequences to that. This is fine - however if you take the situation before the code fix, a simple msgbox saying "no (or an appropriate) text file has been selected to log NEMA sequences to", or something along thoes lines could have alleviated and or highlighted to someone that there was something going on with the log NEMA sequences to file box.

Is it worth adding something like this??

Thanks again guys for your efforts - it is amazing product support.

Thanks,

Coopy.
    edited October 2012
    Coopy,

I'll update this so that if the NMEA or GPS data log files fail to open successfully when GPS data starts coming in you will see an error message.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru