Exporting points with elevation data to Polish MP results in corrupted names

RatherBeInSierrasRatherBeInSierras Global Mapper UserPosts: 10
edited September 2012 in Technical Support
Hello,

I'm using GM 13.2 and exporting points contained in a SHP file to cGPSMapper (Polish MP) format. After export, the feature name has become a combination of the original name plus elevation. For example:

Name prior to export: Deer Spring
Name after export in MP file: Deer Spring~[0x1f]1562

If I delete the elevation value from the SHP file, then the exported name is correct. If I set "Get 'Elevations' From Attribute Value" to "<Don't Get Elevation from Attributes>" then the exported name is correct. This problem occurs with all of the points in multiple different SHP files that worked fine in previous versions of GM- not just the Deer Spring point given as an example.

This is the point information from the SHP file:

Name=Deer Spring
Feature Type=Unknown Point Feature
Geometry=Point location: -111.1551218744 33.4222747058 (Lat/Lon: 33° 25' 20.1889" N, 111° 09' 18.4387" W)
Map Name=iron mountain GNIS.shp
GM_LAYER=Unknown Point Feature
GM_TYPE=Unknown Point Feature
NAME=Deer Spring
LAYER=Unknown Point Feature
ELEVATION=1562
Feature_ID=40332
Feature_Na=Deer Spring
Class=0x6511
County=Pinal
Elevation_=1562
Map_Name=Iron Mountain
MP_TYPE=0x6511

Thank you very much.

Regards,
John

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2012
    John,

Does the name show up that way on the unit? That ~[0x1f] is a special sequence in the MP file that indicates that the elevation of the geo point is encoded in the name. The unit should display that after the feature name and be able to convert the units of it based on how you have the unit setup for display. But this is only for certain point classifications, like the MP_TYPE you are using. Non-geo-points won't get the elevation appended to the name.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • RatherBeInSierrasRatherBeInSierras Global Mapper User Posts: 10
    edited September 2012
    Hi Mike,

Thank you. Everything displays properly on the unit.

Regards,
    John