Area polygon with contour and line

durga637durga637 Global Mapper UserPosts: 44Trusted User
edited September 2012 in Vector Data
Hi,

I am trying to calculate/generate area polygon for my dam submergence area.

I have a contour line and a dam line with elevation. I selected the dam line, dam line and contour line, contour line and then in advanced options create area was chosen. I am getting the message as attached. Then I tried creating another with more than three vertices and got the same message.

Please let me know, if I am following correct procedure to get submergence area of my dam at particular elevation??

Pls advise.
Thanks,
Prasad.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2012
    Prasad,

What you need to do is crop your area to the dam line, the create area from line will require a set of lines that form an area outline to be selected. You need to select your lake area and a single line feature (like the dam) to crop against, then right-click and select the option in the Crop submenu to crop the area to the selected line.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • durga637durga637 Global Mapper User Posts: 44Trusted User
    edited September 2012
    Hi Mike,

My requirement is to create area from line (DAM line) with a set of lines (contour lines) that form an area outline to be selected.

My outer boundary is the contour line and I want area enclosed by the contour line and DAM line.

Please let me know, In which way I should follow to use " create new area features from selected lines" ??

Thanks,
    Prasad.
    edited September 2012
    Prasad,

Ah ok, I thought the green line was the boundary of an area. What you need to do is first select the green contour line then right-click and select to create an area from the line (or use the toolbar button). Then do as I described in my last post and clip that large area to the dam line, giving you 2 pieces of the area, one for each side of the dam. You can then easily see the area of whichever side you need.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • durga637durga637 Global Mapper User Posts: 44Trusted User
    edited September 2012
    Hi Mike,
    It is throwing the same error message "no area features could be formed from the selected lines. Make sure that the selected lines should have at least three vertices"

I am using 13.2.2 version of GM.
    Please let me know, if it is some thing causes from version or make.

Thanks,
    Prasad.
    edited September 2012
    Prasad,

The version isn't the issue. Which lines are you selecting? You need to select the lines that would connect to form the area boundary. They need to connect to each other to form a closed shape (area).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru