Global Mapper Pro

GeoPDF

iaorana
iaorana Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2012 in Raster Data
Hi Mike,

I have open a PDF in GM rectified to place it at good coordinates and wanted to export it as PDF to get a GeoPDF that can be used in Acrobat reader so as to get the lat/long in acrobat reader.

But that doesn't work. What am I missing?

Iaorana

GM V13.2.2 build 8th of august

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2012
    Iaorana,

If you load the PDF that you exported back into Global Mapper does the positioning work there? What projection/datum are you exporting in? Also is the lat/lon displayed at all and just some more advanced functions are disabled in Acrobat? If so you are likely seeing a somewhat recent development where Acrobat will only display positioning information and do things like measurements on PDF files that were created in other Adobe-licensed products, basically so they can force people to purchase their technology. Other PDF-enabled applications can support the position information just fun, it is only these corporations that want to force a particularly application to create the files that lock out access to non-blessed files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2012
    This is why I will never purchase an Adobe product. Global Mapper is the opposite of this concept. "Unique" formats are a marketing scam, like "special" batteries and screws. (Eli Whitney would roll over in his grave.) Government agencies are doing this as well with some public information.

Sorry to intrude, I just had to put in my two bits here.
  • iaorana
    iaorana Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2012
    Hi Guru,

When I reimport the PDF it's well positioned.
    Lat/lon in adobe is active but no coordinates.
    I can get a result by exporting a geotif and with argis exporting a pdf then it works.
    I just wanted to do it from GM.
    Strange no?

Iaorana
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2012
    Iaorana,

This is because Esri purchased the appropriate license from Adobe to make "blessed" PDF files that Adobe will allow something more than lat/lon display on. There is no technical difference between the PDFs and what Global Mapper makes used to actually work fully in Acrobat. They just decided to make anything not created in licensed Adobe software only have limited functionality to force people to purchase something that is licensed from Adobe.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com