Global Mapper v25.0

Map catalog and directory structure

Vincent
Vincent Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2012 in Technical Support
Hi,
I want to create a map catalog with a large number of vertical aerial photography in ECW format (around 100 000 images). The images are stored in about 400 different folders, each folder corresponding to a flight line. I need to keep this flight line structure, so I would like to create a map catalog that allows me to keep the directory / folder structure.
Is it possible ?
Alternative solution is to create a map catalog for each flight line (for each folder) but it is quite time consuming to do it manually. Is it possible to use script or batch processing ? (I do not find the solution ine the GM Scripting Reference).
We use GM v12 (32bits) and some GM v13 (64bits)
I hope my question is clear enough (English is of course not my native language !)
Thanks for your support
Best regards

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2012
    The map catalog doesn't actually store the data, just links to it. You can simply create the map catalog then add a folder to it (the root folder) and specify to check subfolders. All files in the entire folder tree matching your filter would then be added, maintaining their original location.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Vincent
    Vincent Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks Mike,
    That is what I did, it works of course but I loose in the catalog the folder tree structure (original pictures remain of course at their initial location). I obtain just one catalog with more than 100000 pictures in it, with no structure, it is almost impossible to use.
    The idea would be to create a "master catalog" with sub-catalogs corresponding to each folder, with the ability to hide or not each sub-catalog.
    Other solution would be to use a script to generate one catalog for each folder but I didn't find this function in GM.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2012
    This has been coming up lately, how about if I add a new script function to create a map catalog there? That way you could quickly create multiple map catalogs from folders of files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Vincent
    Vincent Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2012
    Mike,
    A new script fonction to generate catalog map should be fine (using the loop function, it should work great through the folder tree). Great, thanks !