stitchenal
stitchenal Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2012 in Bug Report
Error exporting PDF file K:\GeoPDF\BearLake_ErieReAlignment.pdf
Error saving PDF file.
PDFOverlay.cpp - 1238
Version: v13.2.2 (64-bit)
Build Time: Jul 6 2012 08:35:08

Error reported as I reached 100%. Build was downloaded and installed last night.

I was trying to create a tabloid size 300dpi PDF with using a 4 layers: 2 ecw rasters previously created with GM, a geopdf 7.5' historic scanned topo from USGS (no layers) and a kmz vector file from Google Earth.

For export bounds I tried using a predrawn rectangular area and using the "Draw a box". received the same error.

Comments

• stitchenal
    stitchenal Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2012
    I just tried a smaller sized (Letter 300 dpi) pdf and it worked.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2012
    That's a tough one as the error comes from the PDF library that use when you save the final generated PDF to a file. Unfortunately their library isn't returning any other information about why it failed, just that it didn't save. I'm guessing some kind of memory error or something. Do you have the option checked to combine raster layers? If not try checking that and see if it works. It could just be that all of the large separate raster layers is making your system low on memory or something. Also what paper size are you saving to when it fails?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • stitchenal
    stitchenal Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2012
    I wanted to keep the raster files as separate layers. The tabloid paper size failed, but the letter paper size did work. Are there any tricks to giving the pdf library/GlobalMapper64bit the most memory in Windows 7 64bit. I have 12GB of RAM and plenty of hard drive space. Will closing other programs and restarting make any difference?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2012
    There aren't any tricks that will work for this that I know of. We have zero visibility into how the PDF library is implemented internally, so the actual issue is hard to diagnose. I do know it is written in Delphi and only very recently got a 64-bit version, so it's likely they are limiting memory usage in many places that they no longer need to with 64-bit. Also Global Mapper is likely throwing a lot more data at the PDF than a PDF file would normally have on a single page when you have a large high-DPI page with lots of different raster layers.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com