Global Mapper v25.0

RE: Image download not wysiwyg - ESRI World Imagery

3dvr_m4
3dvr_m4 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2012 in Downloading Imagery
Mike,

I read the comment about the data vs. zoom layer and have a related question.
--http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/downloading-imagery/7432-image-download-not-wysiwyg.html

I'm trying to download imagery with a 10km radius centered at 20 22'03.68"N 087 30'31.39"W

ESRI seems to try to use the best available, but if you specify a resolution and there is no data available, it will simply download a repeated pattern with the words "Map data not yet available."

The problem is, I don't know what is and is not available. So, when zoomed out, I see imagery. But if I download it at a specified resolution and the server does not have that resolution I get nothing.

Is there any way to do this and know that you will get what you see? Is there any way to specify a resolution to download from the source so that you can see in advance that there is no imagery at that resolution?

Right now, I have to hunt and peck to figure out what data is available. This results in multiple downloads with moderate wait times and I don't ever really know what the best available is.

Thanks!
-Marty

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2012
    Marty,

What version are you using? There is special support in Global Mapper for automatically detecting the 'Map data not yet available' tiles and trying to get data from lower zoom levels so you shouldn't get a blank map, just an oversampled lower resolution map.

If you really need to know what you are getting the premium DigitalGlobe imagery of course has much more information about coverage areas, especially in the v13.2.2 release where you can see and save the coverage polygons, but of course it isn't free.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • 3dvr_m4
    3dvr_m4 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2012
    I have 12.02 on one work computer and 13.2 on another.

I guess I should update and use the 13.2 version.

When I specify resolutions... 2m, 5m, 10m... I get different images with different cloud cover. Is there any way to specify that I want the same source image or to figure out what resolution each source will be used for so that if I want one image, and I want the highest resolution that is available I can specify it?

Thanks,
    -Marty
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2012
    Marty,

That particular source, like most others, is just pre-tiled data built from some sources at some resolutions at each location. There is not any support for customizing or querying it. Really the only source that allows any significant source setup is the premium DigitalGlobe source.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com