Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Best language to use.

EricGagneEricGagne Global Mapper UserPosts: 129Trusted User
edited May 2012 in GM Script Language
Mike,

I have an idea for a software I think I could put on the market and I'm wondering what's the best language to develop with GM SDK.

I've been a business software developer and DBA for over 25 years but when it comes to .NET I only have knowledge of Visual Basic.

I understand that Visual Basic, Visual C# and Visual C++ can all be used with the SDK but I wonder if the speed of the resulting app would be hampered.

Is it worth the extra work for me to learn C# or the extra extra work of learning C++ ?

I would also like to know if you are aware of any incompatibility with Visual Studio Express edition. If possible I would rather not buy the SDK and a MSDN subscription at the same time.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2012
    While my personal preference is C++, you can easily use the SDK from other languages. If you already know VB and are going to be doing most of the heavy lifting inside the SDK you can stick with that. The SDK sample applications are much more extensive in C++ and to a lesser extent C#, but there is a simple one for VB to get you started with examples of how to call the SDK from VB.

As for speed if most of the work and analysis is done in the SDK you won't see much difference as the SDK itself should run the same speed regardless of what language it is called from. I think you can use it from Visual Studio Express, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • EricGagneEricGagne Global Mapper User Posts: 129Trusted User
    edited May 2012
    Thx Mike.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section :o