Global Mapper v25.0

Find location of elevation data quickly

global_noobie
global_noobie Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2012 in Technical Support
I have obtained some elevation data of the UK (lots of small tiles), if I import it into the GM it all works fine, but is there a quick and easy way to obtain a real world geographic reference of where it is the real world?

I know if I go to "view" it gives me a load of long/lat stuff, but is there a more visualised version of this so i can find out instantly as I have loads of these tiles.

A "GO" option next to the clipboard data option that pin points the location on a map (possibly by referencing from your datasources) would be nice if it does not already have something like this, I know a fraction of this software, but if someone gets the gist of what I'm asking I would be grateful for any info so I can obtain a visual reference to where my data is coming from as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2012
    I think what you want to do is create a map catalog from the tiles (File->Create New Map Catalog). Then when zoomed out you will just see the bounding boxes. When you zoom in the actual data will be loaded from the appropriate files automatically. The map catalog will load and display very quickly after initially created and is great for managing large collections of data files.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • global_noobie
    global_noobie Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2012
    I think you may have mistaken what I want to do.

I need to know where in the UK these files are based on the elevation data I have.

So for example let's say I gave you a 100x100m2 elevation file of a random location in the UK.
    How would you ascertain WHERE in the UK that elevation data is from in a quick and visually intuitive way?
    Or do I have to get the long/lat stuff from the view/properties clip board?

From what I see this info is held because when I importa a low detail elevation model of the entire UK (free from OD wesite) the high detail bits appeared to be slotting into their correct geographic places of origin, so I have a ROUGH idea where they are from, but I hoping for something more precise and quick to visualise.

Hope I got it right and not misunderstood your reply....
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2012
    Oh I see. If the data already has embedded location information I would definitely use that. If it is geo-positioned already in Global Mapper the lat/lon of the cursor will be shown on the status bar so you can easily see the coordinates and the elevation value.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • kentman
    kentman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2012
    I'll try and help to answer global_noobie: if you are using OS open data (I suspect you are) then it depends on the layers you've downloaded or received. It would be useful if you can list the data you are trying to locate. The OS do supply register files for most of the raster tiles for example: OS VectorMap District raster supply is structured like this:
    SP
    |
    data
    |
    georeferencing files
    |
    TAB
    |
    TFW
    You can copy these files (either TAB or TFW it doesn't matter) into the folder containing the data and open in GM.

Hope that helps.

Kent