Global Mapper Pro

iGIS Data Displany

mattburk
mattburk Global Mapper User
edited April 2012 in GIS Data Sources
I am having a problem with global mapper that should be fairly simple, but I can't get it. I used my iPhone and an app called iGIS to go to the field and capture the locations of some point features. I used the export feature of the app to export a .shp file to my computer.

One the computer, using Global Mapper, I downloaded aerial imagery for the area where the point are and opened the .shp file.

I cannot make it so that the imagery and the points defined in the shape file are both visible. It can either see the image or the points on a tan background. I know the points are there because I can search and find them.

How do a make the points visible, superimposed over the map?

Global Mapper 12.02 registered.

thanks
Matt

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2012
    Matt,

Are you being prompted for a projection when loading the SHP file? It is critical that the proper projection for the coordinates in the SHP file is selected so they are properly placed on the map. If the wrong projection is selected they will be placed at the wrong location on the earth and so won't overlay with other data. If the features are coming from a GPS the projection is likely Geographic/WGS84, but it could be something else depending on how the iGIS application saves it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • mattburk
    mattburk Global Mapper User
    edited April 2012
    Yes. It asks me for the projection when I load the data. The iGIS program says it is NAD83/Nebraska in the project file. I think I have tried WGS84 also. I will try it again.

Do you have any suggestions?

Matt
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2012
    Matt,

For that projection did you select the State Plane projection with NAD83 as the datum and the Nebraska as the zone and US Survey Feet as the units? That would correspond to Nebraska/NAD83.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com