hec_mex
hec_mex Global Mapper User
edited April 2012 in Vector Data
Hello!

I've made two cotours at specific height, one at 2400 meters
contour2400.jpg
and the other at 2600 meters.
contour2600.jpg

Now i want to calculate the area between this two contours.

I've tried selecting both contours and create a new area features in the advance feature creation menu, but it didn't work. the area that was created wasn't the area between the countours but the opposite.
areacalculated.jpg

Any help.

Thanks.

Hec.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2012
    Hec,

I would load both contour lines at the same time, then select and right-click on the layers in the Control Center to create an elevation grid from the select layers. Once you have that layer, go to the Alter Elevations tab of the Options dialog for the layer and set the valid range to just inside the contours, like 2400.01 to 2599.99. This should leave just the region between the contours as valid. Then, switch to the Measure Tool and draw a large area all the way around all of the valid stuff, then right-click and select the measure the volume. Do an area measure against a cut height of 2400 meters and you should get a report that includes the cut area, which would be the area between the 2 contours.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • hec_mex
    hec_mex Global Mapper User
    edited April 2012
    That did the trick!!!

Thanks a lot!!!
    Hec,

I would load both contour lines at the same time, then select and right-click on the layers in the Control Center to create an elevation grid from the select layers. Once you have that layer, go to the Alter Elevations tab of the Options dialog for the layer and set the valid range to just inside the contours, like 2400.01 to 2599.99. This should leave just the region between the contours as valid. Then, switch to the Measure Tool and draw a large area all the way around all of the valid stuff, then right-click and select the measure the volume. Do an area measure against a cut height of 2400 meters and you should get a report that includes the cut area, which would be the area between the 2 contours.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com