Add automatic zoom and screen center to "Feature vertex list"

EricGagneEricGagne Global Mapper UserPosts: 129Trusted User
edited April 2012 in Suggestion Box
Hi Mike,

Yesterday I noticed this feature for the first time. Until now I had no idea it was there. This is great because being able to cleanup my tracklogs is pretty much the only reason I keep MapSource around. I find it a little harder to use in GM though because it's missing the "Center on screen" feature that MapSource has.

If a similar feature was added to GM I could get rid of Mapsource alltogether. That would make my life easier because now I'm using GM to capture the tracklogs which I need to export to GPX to edit in Mapsource and bring back into GM.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2012
    You just need to double-click on the vertex on the Vertices dialog and the map view will recenter on it and a circle will also be drawn on the vertex and the segment starting at that vertex highlighted on the map.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • EricGagneEricGagne Global Mapper User Posts: 129Trusted User
    edited April 2012
    I saw that this morning but it doesn't zoom on the highligted portion which is what really makes the feature in Mapsource usefull. In Mapsource when I select a range of vertices they are highligted but also centered and zoomed.

When I return from overland trip I need to clean up my tracklogs because there's often lots of places where I turned around and drove back on my steps or had to back up and go forward again. I need to get rid of all the extra segments so I can end up with a clean road on the maps I'll generate from that log.

To do this I pick the first segment that I want to remove and then go down with the arrow key while holding the shift key, as the segments are selected as a group, they are centered and zoomed on the screen in Mapsource and that's what makes it very easy to delete everything I don't want but ONLY what I don't want.

With GM, I need to zoom the area before I start cleaning up. The problem is that my tracklogs often are over 2000 km long and cover a square area of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) square km. That means I need to do a small part, then close the vertex windows, drag my map, zoom again, reopen the vertex list, find the vertex where I stopped and resume the process from there. MapSource makes it less tedious because I don't have to manually recenter and zoom all the time.

I don't know if this would be a big deal Mike and I can understand that you have higher priorities on your todo list. I just wanted to explain why I find this feature very useful.
    edited April 2012
    The vertices dialog accessed from the Feature Info dialog should be a modeless dialog, so the map is still active. So you can double-click on the point to recenter and if that isn't zoomed in enough for you, simply activate the map and zoom in to the level you want, all with the vertex dialog still up.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited April 2012
    I thought I tried that but maybe I didn't. I'll take another look.

Thanks Mike.
    edited April 2012
    Mike I tried it again and it doesn't work. The Vertices Dialog is Modeless but it's a child of the Feature Info Dialog which is modal. When the Vertices Dialog is opened I can interact with the Feature Info Dialog but not the map.
    edited April 2012
    Are you using the Feature Info Tool or the Digitizer Tool? The Feature Info dialog from the Feature Info tool is modeless and you can interact with the map when it (or its child vertices dialog) is up. You cannot do the same with the 'Modify Feature Info' dialog though from the Digitizer Tool.

Note in the Feature Info tool make sure not to switch tools or the dialog will go away. Use the zoom in/out buttons on the toolbar or the page up/down keys to zoom in and out with the Feature Info tool active.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru