Global Mapper Pro

2 overlapping areas; Need to reduce to only the overlap area

beppington
beppington Global Mapper User
edited April 2012 in Vector Data
I have 2 area files that partially overlap each other.

I need to combine it into 1 area file with only the overlap, i.e. get rid of the non-overlapping areas.

Can anybody help?

Thank you!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2012
    If you have an area feature of just the overlapping area you could select that and then do an export just cropped to that area.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • beppington
    edited April 2012
    Hi Mike: First, thank you! I've tried all kinds of variations on exporting with no luck so far (I have GM v12).

I have my two area files loaded, shown below. I can turn on Digitizer & select either area or both just fine. When I "Export Vector Format" with Export Format "Shapefile", set a file name under the "File Selection" tab "Export Areas", under the "Export Bounds" tab select "Crop to Selected Area Feature(s)", & click OK it goes from the first map below to the 2nd. It doesn't seem to matter which of the areas I highlight before doing the export. I need a file of just the orange area (I manually filled that orange). Can you tell me what else to try?

GM both files.jpg GM exported file v1.jpg
  • jayheiman
    jayheiman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2012
    The users manual suggests this would be possible:
    Finding the Intersection of Multiple Area Features You can find the intersection of two area features by selecting both features, then right clicking and selecting the Find Intersection of Selected Area Features menu command. This operation will create a new area feature from the intersection of the two selected area features. You will also be prompted to create new area features from what is left outside of the intersection. If you choose this option then the original area features will be marked as deleted once the operation completes successfully.
    But I can't locate the Find Intersection of Selected Area Features menu command in the right click pop-up menu.
    Any help?
    Jay
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2012
    Jay,

In v13.1 the option to 'Find Intersection of Selected Area Features' is under the Crop submenu in the Digitizer Tool. Just select the 2 areas, then you can find their intersection to get just the orange area, then export cropped to that.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • beppington
    edited April 2012
    OK, I seem to have it. It's a 2-part process, but here are the precise steps I took:

Step 1: Load both area files. Turn on Digitizer Tool & select either one of the areas. "File" -> "Export Vector Format..." with "Select Export Format" of "Shapefile", set a file name under the "File Selection" tab "Export Areas" box, under the "Export Bounds" tab select "Crop to Selected Area Feature(s)", & click OK. It doesn't seem to matter which of the areas you highlight during this step.

Step 2: "File" -> "Unload All..."

Step 3: Open the file that was made under Step 1.

Step 4: Make sure Digitizer Tool is (still) on & highlight the overlap area.

Step 5: "File" -> "Export Vector Format..." with "Select Export Format" of "Shapefile", set another file name under the "File Selection" tab "Export Areas" box, under the "Export Bounds" tab select "Crop to Selected Area Feature(s)", & click OK.

This worked for me. The resulting file is the original, orange overlap area I highlighted in my drawing above.

GM exported file v2.jpg