Swipe Tool only lists catalog layer not individual raster layers

JakeJake Global Mapper UserPosts: 276Trusted User
edited April 2012 in Bug Report
GM 13.1 (b032512) Win XP Pro 32 bit

I have all my raster maps in a catalog. When I use the Swipe Tool it only lists a single entry in the "Select Layer to Swipe" drop down box. There are actually 4 raster layers.

On a related suggestion I have used other software that allows you to right-click a position and select from a list of layers that cover that spot. I suspect the function most likely reads the extents of the maps in the catalog and determines if you are inside or outside the polygons. You can then select the map you want and it brings it to the top of the stack.

Thanks.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2012
    The map catalog is a single conceptual layer. Once the raster layers are in a map catalog they are no longer stand alone entities but part of a collection that is a single logical "layer". You can only currently set the swipe for the entire map catalog, so you would need to load the layers that you want to swipe independently outside of the catalog.

Thanks,

Mike
  • JakeJake Global Mapper User Posts: 276Trusted User
    edited April 2012
    OK. You may want to reconsider that in a future version. Basically, the use of Map Catalogs excludes the use of the Swipe tool. Also it seems GM has been designed to encourage the use of Map Catalogs. Since if you open a large number of files, a dialog will pop up suggesting you use Catalogs instead of opening individual files.

This is just a suggestion along with the one in post 1. Thanks.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2012
    I can add that to the todo list. We do definitely want to encourage the use of map catalogs. Usually you would use those to organize collections of data, so each map catalog is really one logical group (typically non-overlapping), so you might have multiple catalogs and would typically want to swipe an entire catalog at a time and not individual maps within it. If you have maps from different data collections I would recommend keeping them in a different catalog so they form a separate logical entity.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • JakeJake Global Mapper User Posts: 276Trusted User
    edited April 2012
    I understand. I use the map catalog successfully with tiled maps (i.e. topo maps). However, nautical charts overlap and have varying scales. In some places there are 7 or 8 charts that cover a feature. Even charts of the same scale will overlap. Attached is an example of the complex overages you can expect to see.