what are the diferrences?

energyenergy Global Mapper UserPosts: 384Trusted User
edited March 2013 in Technical Support
Hi GM admins and users,
I am looking over bluemarble products, I have realized some products,I'd like to get info

1-What is the SDK and what are the diferrences from GM ?what I do with SDK

2-What is the "Bluemarble desktop" and what are the diferrences from GM ?what I do with BMD

3-I am very interested in this product, because I am in mining sector also open pit and underground mining designe What is the "Global energy mapper " and what are the diferrences from GM ?what I do with GEM, also I'd like to try that but I dont find its trial version

I would appreciate if you give info detailed

Thanks...

Comments

• energyenergy Global Mapper User Posts: 384Trusted User
    edited March 2012
    Hi GM admins and users,
    I am looking over bluemarble products, I have realized some products,I'd like to get info

1-What is the SDK and what are the diferrences from GM ?what I do with SDK

2-What is the "Bluemarble desktop" and what are the diferrences from GM ?what I do with BMD

3-I am very interested in this product, because I am in mining sector also open pit and underground mining designe What is the "Global energy mapper " and what are the diferrences from GM ?what I do with GEM, also I'd like to try that but I dont find its trial version

I would appreciate if you give info detailed

Thanks...
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2012
    The Global mapper SDK is a developers kit allowing you to develop your own mapping applications based on Global Mapper technology. This is for programmers only and not a tool for normal GIS users.

Global Energy Mapper is an version of Global Mapper with some extra functionality for the oil and gas industry. Right now there isn't much difference (just some extra point types/symbols and a pad placement tool), but more differentiation is coming in the future. Global Energy Mapper contains everything that Global Mapper has, plus a little extra functionality.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Amanda McDermottAmanda McDermott Global Mapper User Posts: 69Trusted User
    edited March 2013
    Dear Mike,

We are planning to upgrade from v13 as you know, and were wondering the same as this question. You mention in your answer that 'more differentiation is coming in the future'. Does this mean that in the future GEM will still always have all the features of Gloabalmapper plus more, or is it likely to move away and become something different?

Is there a difference in price / will there be a price difference as GEM develops? Will it be possible to upgrade from one to the other in both directions in future?

thanks,
    Amanda
    edited March 2013
    Amanda,

GEM should always have everything in Global Mapper, plus additional features. Right now the price is the same, but as GEM starts to add a significant amount of additional functionality over what the base GM has the price for GEM may increase slightly over what GM is. For now it's the same though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper.php
    edited March 2013
    Thanks Mike,

If we go for GEM this time (since it seems like we may as well), if the price increases and we feel that we only really need GM, will we be able on our next upgrade, to 'upgrade' back to GM?

Amanda
    edited March 2013
    Amanda,

That is a very good question and not something that has been decided yet. I would imagine that we would allow switching back to GM if that came up and you didn't need the GEM functionality.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited March 2013
    Mike,

Thank you for the advice, we will go for GEM this time and see how we get on with it.

Amanda
  • BillBBillB Global Mapper User Posts: 122Trusted User
    edited March 2013
    Hi Mike

The Global Energy Mapper upgrade purchase page (Regnow) doesn't accept the 10% coupon code from this forum
    http://www.globalmapperforum.com/global-mapper-pricing.html
    The page says "The gift certificate or promotional code is not valid."

Does this mean that there is no possibility of discounted upgrade pricing for GM13 > GEM14, or just that I haven't found the the correct coupon page yet?

Thanks
    :)

Bill
    edited March 2013
    Bill,

You would currently have to purchase an upgrade from GM13 -> GM14, then once you have GM14 email gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com and have them convert you to GEM14. There isn't a coupon yet for switching to GEM14 from GM13.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru