Global Mapper v25.0

Export DEM to WorldWind

Andrea
Andrea Global Mapper User
edited April 2008 in Elevation Data
Hello,
exists the possibility to export elevation data in WorldWind tiles BIL format?

Thanks
Andrea

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2008
    Global Mapper does not have support for generating new elevation tiles for use in WorldWind. It can only generate new raster tiles for display on top of the existing terrain data in WorldWind.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • SeerBlue
    SeerBlue Global Mapper User
    edited April 2008
    Global Mapper can be used to generate .bils in the correct format for World Wind, though it is not as simple a route as Mike has made "export World Wind tiles" for the imagery.
    I have a tutorial which will walk you through the steps needed in Global Mapper, as well as a zip file of a MicroSoft Excel workbook which will tell you what your tile names need to be to correctly place the new .bils in World Winds tile/folder structure. It is at WorldWind Terrain Tiling .
    It takes a bit of planning beforehand, but the tutorial should get you through it.
    Start at the oldest entry in the blog to start at the beginning.
    The public folders section has 2 zip files, one is to do a single level, and the second will do multiple levels. All the workbooks do is give you the correct tile/folder names for use in Global Mappers export gridding dialogue.
    Have a look, Andrea. Here is a link to a pic of custom Global Mapper exported bils in World Wind, you may have to scroll down to see it.
    If you have any questions just comment at the World Wind terrain Tiling blog and I will see if I have an answer. SeerBlue
  • PaulTocknell
    PaulTocknell Forum Administrator Unconfirmed
    edited April 2008
    I would love if we could compile some of that data together to be placed at Global Mapper Forum.com.

Send me what you have and I can place some file(s) in the download section.
  • SeerBlue
    edited April 2008
    Sounds good to me, I will look at taking my online tutorial and putting it in a document that can be uploaded, the excel workbooks can be uploaded here as well to go with it. It,the tutorial and workbooks, seem to be popular with the World Wind crowd as the site has had 1800 hits and about 500 downloads.
    If you want to download what is at the public folders feel free, I loose my wireless connection quite often here and it could take a while to get them too you, probably corrupted at that.
    SeerBlue
  • SeerBlue
    edited April 2008
    Okay, I put the tutorial for the Excel Data Workbook (which finds the correct .bil tile and folder names) and proper gridding in Global Mapper at World Wind Terrain Tiling in the Public files

I just discovered office 2007 screws up the color coding which it makes it easier to locate folder and tile names, I have fixed a copy for 2007 which does a single level of bil names and I will upload it as with 2007 added to the name of the file.

I still need to put the xml modifications and folder placement for World Wind's folders into a pdf, once that is done I will place that at the same location as above and make a post here, which may take a bit as I just discovered I lost my documentation to a computer failure a while back....

SeerBlue