Global Mapper v25.0

Am I able to export terrain vertices as a CSV file?

vislaw
vislaw Global Mapper User
edited February 2014 in Technical Support
Hello. I'm delighted to be the newest Global Mapper registered user as of about 2 seconds ago. Permit me to ask a question that I hope doesn't betray my newbie status too much.

You see, I'm aware of a script that was written for users of VUE that allows them to export terrains as a CSV array giving x,y,z coordinates for each vertice. I am not a VUE user but I would very much like to get this functionality and I'm hoping Global Mapper will let me accomplish the task. I see that you can export vector files as a formatted CSV file but I can't see how to take a small terrain and export it so that I can deal with the vertices in EXCEL.

I've observed that this is one of the most complete and amazing GIS packages available and I'm hoping you mavens can help me figure out how to harness its power to do this task.

MANY THANKS!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2012
    Welcome to the Global Mapper community! You can easily do what you are describing, just load your terrain then use File->Export Elevation Data to export a XYZ Grid file. This will be a CSV list of the grid points that you could then load into Excel.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • vislaw
    edited February 2012
    Thanks so very much! This is an incredible application. Even better is the extraordinary community of users.

I appreciate it!!!
  • vislaw
    edited February 2014
    I started this thread almost exactly two years ago. Sadly, a personal tragedy interrupted my life just after I posted here and I am only now returning to Global Mapper and the issue of CSV files and terrains. Mike explained how Global Mapper easily exports elevation data as a grid (such a great tool). I have a question about a CSV file I have brought into Global Mapper now.

I would like to get Google terrain data in an XYZ form that I can use in another program I have that can only accept CSV files. I found a nifty Ruby script written by TRIG over in the Sketchucation forum that generates a CSV file from any Google terrain brought into Sketcher:

[Plugin] Export Vertices to CSV v1.2 20121123 ? SketchUcation Community Forums

Unfortunately, when I import the data the terrain has some artifacts that are very obvious:

TerrainArtifactsFromCSVImport.jpg

I've imported the CSV file into several other applications and have verified the artifacts are present in the data file. Obviously, something is going on when the Ruby script runs that is causing the issue. While this isn't really an issue involving Global Mapper, this little Ruby script would be extremely useful to me (and presumably some other people who could use the Google terrain in CSV form), I thought that some of you mavens might be able to take a look at the script (it is comprised of a surprisingly few number of lines) and figure out why the linear artifacts show up in the data exported with this script. Or maybe something from the visual appearance of the terrain is suggestive of what is going on to those of you who work with these files all the time.

Of course, I could export the terrain file itself with Sketcher Pro and bring it into Global Mapper to generate a grid. It would sure be nice, though, if I could get a CSV file out of Sketcher directly without having to go through the intermediate steps.

Another possible workflow that I haven't tried yet (but which I will hopefully get time to try tonight) involves using the very cool Terrain plugin for 3DS Max Terrain « MegaFiers It allows importing KMZ/KML files from Google Earth and also apparently streams terrain data directly into Max from any lat/long you give it. Presumably I could export the resulting terrain in 3DS Max as a Collada (.dae) file that I can bring into Global Mapper. From that point the XYZ export is a piece of cake due to Global Mapper's excellent grid toolbox.

So I guess my main questions are:

1) Does the nature of the artifacts generated by the Sketcher Ruby script suggest a source and possible solution to the problem?

2) Other than exporting a Google terrain file from Sketcher or from 3DS Max as described above, are there other simple workflows that would accomplish the task?
  • vislaw
    edited February 2014
    Update:

1) The author of the RUBY script has gotten in touch with me and he is troubleshooting the tool now. I'll report back when he figures out what is going on.

2) I've been very pleased with the results of importing the Google terrains from Sketchup into Global Mapper. It is necessary to use the 32-bit version and you must save your Sketchup files as an older version, but then it works stunningly.
  • vislaw
    edited February 2014
    Update:

TIG has revised the script so it now works flawlessly. It also now appears as a choice in the FILE menu:

[Plugin] Export Vertices to CSV ? SketchUcation Community Forums

This now permits you to bring in a Google terrain without having to use the 32-bit version of GM to bring in a file from Sketchup.