Three Suggestions

dtartarodtartaro Geospatial WannabePosts: 14
edited February 2012 in Suggestion Box
Hello, I'm new here and I'm relatively new to Global Mapper. I've been using it for roughly six months now and I'm finding new features and tricks every week, so there is a chance some or all of these three suggestions already exist. They are all things I'd really REALLY like to see if they don't...particularly the first one.
  1. Image Select Tool - This tool simply allows you to click on a tif (or any raster image I suppose) and it will become highlighted in the viewport as well as in the Overlay Control Center. Right now I have to mouse over the image I want, look at the file name at the bottom (which is often a terribly confusing jumble of letters and numbers), and then find it in the Control Center where I can click on it.
  2. Navigation Window - A small detachable window which displays an overview of your entire scene. Preferably with the ability to zoom in and out.
  3. On Cursor Display - This would be an option which would allow you to display information about what your mouse is over such as a file name, a specific attribute, or coordinates. This information would be displayed right beside the cursor itself.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2012
    Thank you for the suggestions. The first 2 are already on our todo list. For the 3rd, you would use the Feature Info Tool for that, you would just need to click on the feature to see the complete list of attributes and geometry information about the feature.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • dtartarodtartaro Geospatial Wannabe Posts: 14
    edited February 2012
    Mike, thank you so much for the quick response. I'm very glad to hear the first two are on your punch list! To clarify with the third suggestion, what I'm talking about is a cursor notation that is actually attached to the cursor itself following it around the screen and updating in real time as you mouse-over the data. I threw together a screenshot so you could see what I mean. Note that this would be most effective if it worked with all tools (e.g. Pan Tool, Digitizer Tool, Feature Info Tool, etc).

GM_Example.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Thank you for the screenshot. You can see information about what is under the cursor on the status bar as you move your cursor around and of course the coordinates of the cursor are also displayed on the status bar. Is there more information that you would need than that?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • dtartarodtartaro Geospatial Wannabe Posts: 14
    edited February 2012
    Not necessarily more information. Really the only difference between this and the status bar is that the information is right beside your cursor so you don't have to keep looking down. It may not seem like much of a feature, but it would make it much easier to find something in a large scene if you could see the information as your pointing right there beside the cursor in real time. As it is right now using the status bar, if you are trying to analyze elevation data points, for example, you have to constantly stop and look down at the status bar, then look back up and keep going. With this floating notation feature, you could slowly move your cursor across a DEM and see exactly what the elevation is as you move without having to stop at all to look down. Of course, it's not something everyone would want, so it would be best as an optional feature, but having the option would be really useful for some applications I think.
    edited February 2012
    Ok I can definitely see the use in this as more information could be provided. I've added this to our todo list.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Diehard3001Diehard3001 Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    That's fantastic. I Know that would help me out a great deal on future jobs....... I got a suggestion to add to this one. So when the cursor is hovering over the point that is needed and the info is displayed. Could we copy that info to a clipboard for an QC error list.