Cropping does not work

george chivugeorge chivu Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited January 2012 in Technical Support
Hello,

I'm trying to crop a data-set containing Corine Land Cover areas and a country mask in shapefile format. I have a 12 overlay document, with a total size of 1.7 GB. The last overlay consists of a country mask that is made up of the EU member states and I want to crop the information to that mask. I have selected the country overlay, then right click on it and selected "Select All Features in Selected Layer(s) with Digitizer Tool". Afterwards I went to Export Vector Format, selected Shapefile, and in the Export Bounds tab I selected "Crop to Selected Area Feature(s)". The problem is the result isn't cropped, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can you please help me on this matter? I'm using Global Mapper 12

Thanks in advance
George

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2012
    George,

Is the result not cropped at all? What format are you exporting to? Is the export being cropped to something else or just not cropped at all? What version of Global Mapper are you using?

Thanks,

Mike
  • george chivugeorge chivu Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited January 2012
    Hello Mike,
    I'm using GM 12. Yes, the result is not cropped at. I've tried PDF, and Shapefile and no cropping.

Thanks,
    George
    edited January 2012
    George,

If you trying selecting and cropping to a simpler area does that work? I'm wondering if there is an issue with the complexity of the area boundaries or something, although that usually just makes things slower and doesn't make the cropping fail altogether. You can just try drawing a triangle or something with the Digitizer Tool and cropping to that.

Thanks,

Mike
    edited January 2012
    I've tried a simpler object, like the contour of one country, and the crop result was a rectangle created by the extreme points of the map contour (north, south, east, west). This rectangle contains the data I wanted cropped but not in the shape of the country. I've exported in shapefile format. I'm attaching two screenshots for exemplification.

Thanks,
    GeorgeArea to be cropped.pngCrop result.png
    edited January 2012
    I just checked and realized that the vector crops of area and line features is limited to cropping to just a single area feature with no islands. Also that single area feature must be properly defined (i.e. no self-intersections or anything else that makes an invalid polygon). It looks like one of those things isn't true for what you are trying to crop to, so just the rectangular bounds is being cropped to. Does your crop area have any holes/islands in it?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
    edited January 2012
    You were absolutely right. I was croppping using all the features, including islands, and so on. Thanks a lot. Now there's a problem. I have to eliminate Norway from the map and the country is composed of many islands. Is there any posiblity to crop using islands?

Thanks,
    George
    edited January 2012
    George,

There isn't currently a way to crop vector features with islands, although exports to raster formats should work fine even with multiple areas and islands. If you want to eliminate Norway could you just crop to the combined results of the other areas?

Another option might be to do a raster export cropped to everything you need, then bring that back in, right-click on the layer in the Control Center, then select to create equal value areas to get the areas back from the rasterized result.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
    edited January 2012
    Thanks Mike. I'm going to combine cropping results.