Insert point at intersection

kfroesekfroese Geotechnical EngineerPosts: 170Trusted User
edited March 2012 in Vector Data
A task I have often done is try to insert points at the intersection of features. It would be nice to have the option to create a point at the intersection of features that is separate from the features intersecting. At the moment (in v12.02), the options are only to insert vertices into the intersecting features - I'd like to see "Add point at intersection" as an option as well.

In the past, I've worked around it by inserting the vertices and splitting one of the lines and then inserting points at the endpoints of the line and using the relevant one as my new point.

Thanks for considering,

Ken.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2012
    Ken,

Would you need this from the user interface or from the scripting language? In either case I can add this, but it would of course be in v13.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • kfroesekfroese Geotechnical Engineer Posts: 170Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    User interface is what I was hoping for. Any chance of getting that into v12? I was planning on skipping v13 as there weren't enough features to tempt me and holding off upgrading till v14.
  • tjhbtjhb Global Mapper User Posts: 454Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    Ha! That's a riot!

(You meant to be funny, right?)
    edited January 2012
    Ken,

Sorry, since this is a new feature and not a bug fix we won't back-port it to an older version. In any case, I would expect the cost to upgrade from v12 to v14 to be the same as going from v12 to v13 then from v13 to v14, so you won't cost yourself anything by upgrading to v13 now.

I have completed adding the new feature, both in the user interface (a new prompt when finding intersections) as well as the ability to add PTS_AT_INTERSECTIONS=YES to an EDIT_VECTOR command to perform the operation from a script. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder (once you upgrade) to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    BCCP-BCCP-BCCP
    edited January 2012
    tjhb wrote: »
    Ha! That's a riot!

(You meant to be funny, right?)

@TJHB: Don't be an idiot. There are many completely valid reasons why I may not want to upgrade to v13. In my case, it is because the time between new versions seems to have reduced and I'm not interested in trying to sell the upgrade to my manager since we have several seats that would be upgraded. Since v13 doesn't add anything to how we use the program, I was not going to bother this round and save the company a bit of money.
    edited January 2012
    Mike: thanks for adding it. I hope others find it a useful feature.

As for upgrading costs, my local reseller confirmed for me that it would be cheaper to hold off now and save upgrading until v14. As per post above, it does seem that upgrades are becoming slightly more frequent. And in the case of v13, there aren't any significant features for our company's use of the software.
    edited January 2012
    Which reseller indicated that? We certainly don't penalize users for keeping up with upgrades. The frequency of major releases has always been one a year in August or September of each year. That has been the same since Global Mapper was created. The v13.01 minor release should be out very soon and it has a massive list of new features (including your change), so perhaps one of those will entice you to upgrade now, otherwise the change will be in v14 of course.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • JakeJake Global Mapper User Posts: 269Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    Just want to let you know that I found the recently added "insert point at intersection" very useful. Thanks.
    edited January 2012
    Glad to hear it! That is the value of this forum and of a developer that spends a great deal of time on this forum.
    edited March 2012
    To wrap this thread up, I have upgraded to v13 and this feature works as advertised. Thank You!

And the network licensing is fantastic! It works and it saves my company money as many of my users are casual at best.