Global Mapper Pro

Displaying mixture of 2 DEMs - help please

gevbh
gevbh Global Mapper User
edited December 2011 in Elevation Data
Hey all,
I have 2 arc ascii files describing the same area with some overlap. I present both in the Control Center. When i try to see the difference (heights) between the 2 layers, one is "blocking" the other and they don't mix.
What i'm trying to do is to be able to see the two DEMs one inside another in a ways that it would visualize the relief discrepancies.
I tried to change the translucency but it has nothing to do with it, i guess.
Any help ?
Thanks in advance,
Gev

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2011
    Gev,

I would suggest using the File->Combine Terrains menu command and generate a new terrain surface that is the difference of the 2 layers. Then you can quantitatively see the differences between the layers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • gevbh
    gevbh Global Mapper User
    edited December 2011
    Mike,
    Thanks for helping.
    The point is i don't need the difference, i need to display the 2 layers at the same time, one inside another.
    I mean some kind of mixture. The point is that one layer is blocking the other so i could only see the top one.
    Thanks again,
    Gev
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2011
    Gev,

I guess I'm not sure what would make good sense for a blend of elevation layers. It makes more sense really with image layers. You could export them both to an image format, like 24-bit GeoTIFF, then load those in an use a blend mode or juts make the top one translucent. Or I guess really just do that for the top one. It would be a strange visualization though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • gevbh
    gevbh Global Mapper User
    edited December 2011
    jpg forum.jp.jpg

Mike,

By trying to export the layer to GeoTiff i loose the option of visualization in 3D. All i want to do is to save an image from the 3D display showing planar (x-y) differences between the layers. Attached an image depicting the problem of one layer (The upper one) blocking the bottom one (Which its heights factor was larger- that's why it is higher). I want the bottom layer to pop-out of the top one.
    Is it possible with GlobalMapper ?
    Again, thanks for assisting,
    Regards,

Gev
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2011
    Gev,

Ah I see you want it in the 3D view. Currently you can only display a single 3D layer in the 3D view, but what you could do is export your top layer to a DXF 3D Face file, then load that back in. If will then display in the 3D view as a vector triangle surface that will be independent of the other terrain surface, so if would cut in and out of it so you could visualize differences in the 3D view.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru