Global Mapper Pro

Drainage pattern modelling on DEM

zmalol
zmalol Global Mapper User
edited November 2011 in Elevation Data
Hi there,
I have heard that there are some ways to create drainage pattern on DEM using streams. This is just oposite to the watershed feature of GM. I am wondering if GM can generate such a drainage model from some points and vector lines of the streams. If not GM, may be you are aware of any software which support this kind of digital elevation modelling.

Thanks,
zmalol

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2011
    Are you looking to see maybe where a particular set of points or lines might drain to? You can do this for points by first selecting the point(s) with the Digitizer/Edit Tool, then using the File->Generate Watershed menu command and selecting the option to trace the flow from each point or the drainage to the selected point(s).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • zmalol
    edited November 2011
    Sorry, I did not make it clear what I mean. Let me explain it:
    I am modelling subquaternary bedrock map with burried valleys. I have set of points with borehole data on bedrock elevation and reconstructed rivers and streams paleo-network as a vector lines. I would like to automatically generate DEM of the bedrock topography from this data to get a valleys and ridges system.

Thanks
    zmalol
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2011
    If you have any type of 3D vector data loaded you can simply right-click on the layer in the Control Center and select the option to generate an elevation grid from that data. You can select which attribute to use for elevation on the Options dialog for the layer prior to generating the elevation grid.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • ANGLICO
    ANGLICO Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2011
    Modeling topography (and paleotopography) with limited borehole data is extremely challenging. Gridding & contouring software that permits user-drawn contours for adding control is workable for large data sets. For small data sets, human interpretation (hand contouring) is the best. I dont have a grasp of your problem, obviously. How many boreholes do you have for control, and over how large an area?
  • zmalol
    edited November 2011
    Thank you Anglico for your comments. I know what you mean - I have drawn subsurface contours for many years both by hand and with use of subsurface interpretation software. And number of control points varied from a few to hundreds.

I have large number of data this time, about 900 points equally distributed on 90 km2. With this number of data automatic gridding helps a lot. But the major constraint of the interpretation of this data set is a limited control of the subquaternary complex drainage system of deep burried valleys. Two points on the opposite slopes high above valley bottom usually will be connected if there is no additional input on position of the valley between them. I have drawn the drainage system as a set of vector lines and want to use it to guide the automatic interpolation to delineate valleys in subsurface DEM. As I said it seems opposite operation to the stream lines detection in the watershed feature of GM. I asked the question here hoping to get answer "it can be done in GM too" :-)
  • ANGLICO
    ANGLICO Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2011
    zmalol wrote: »
    Thank you Anglico for your comments. I know what you mean - I have drawn subsurface contours for many years both by hand and with use of subsurface interpretation software. And number of control points varied from a few to hundreds.

I have large number of data this time, about 900 points equally distributed on 90 km2. With this number of data automatic gridding helps a lot. But the major constraint of the interpretation of this data set is a limited control of the subquaternary complex drainage system of deep burried valleys. Two points on the opposite slopes high above valley bottom usually will be connected if there is no additional input on position of the valley between them. I have drawn the drainage system as a set of vector lines and want to use it to guide the automatic interpolation to delineate valleys in subsurface DEM. As I said it seems opposite operation to the stream lines detection in the watershed feature of GM. I asked the question here hoping to get answer "it can be done in GM too" :-)

I use Petra for gridding and contouring, but it's database is designed for oil and gas exploration, in the USA primarily. I can hand draw contours, edit and smooth them, and repeatedly double the number of control points along a contour. I can cause these control points to be used along with well control, to create a grid, then contour the grid, and iteratively modify hand drawn contours and regrid and recontour until my map looks like my conceptual model while honoring the hard data.

There must be non-petroleum software that provides the same capabilities. If not, then here is a money-making idea for some young entrepreneur.