Global Mapper Tracklog - Trackpoints Timezone??

coopy_1989coopy_1989 Global Mapper UserPosts: 20
edited October 2011 in GPS Features
Hi,

I have been provided with some GM tracklogs. Apparently these were collected using some sort of NEMA feed directly into GM, where apparently the output time was on the GPS was 0 UTC.

Looking at the Time information in the feature vertex list, and the notes associated with these tracklogs, it appears that there has been some sort of correction for the local time (in this case UTC + 8).

Is anyone able to confirm/shed any light on how global mapper deals with time zones, i.e. is there a way we can confirm which time zone, the time (in the feature vertex list, and the Fix Time - in GPS Information window) relates to.

Thanks,
Coopy

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2011
    Coopy,

The times stored with the tracklog are assumed to be UTC. On the Feature Vertex dialog they will be converted from UTC to your current time zone.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • coopy_1989coopy_1989 Global Mapper User Posts: 20
    edited October 2011
    Thanks Mike,

that has cleared that up, however is "to your current time zone" the time zone which computer is operating in, or is the time zone infomation independent to what the time zone information on the computer is set to??

Also,

What would occur if you collected a tracklog in one time zone on a computer set to local time e.g. UTC + 6.5, and then opened that file on a computer where the time zone was UTC + 8, would the tracklog time, i see in the GM feature vertex dialog stay in +6.5 time or would it be updated to the +8 time??

Coopy
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2011
    Coopy,

Global Mapper will always display the times relative to the time zone setting on your computer. It doesn't try to figure out the time zone that he point was acquired in and set it to that.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • coopy_1989coopy_1989 Global Mapper User Posts: 20
    edited October 2011
    Thankyou for that!