Global Mapper Pro

Gm las header editor

XtremeAK
XtremeAK Global Mapper User
edited October 2011 in Elevation Data
Hi Mike,

I'm sure you are aware of the multitude of software developers and providers that, for whatever reason refuse to populate the LAS LiDAR header files correctly and to ASPRS spec's, regardless of the version.

I know of several packages that can view the header so that you can verify it's header information is correctly populated or not, but if the data is manipulated in ANY way and saved out, several GeoKeys are stripped of the correct information, from the "Source ID key, the "Source #", "System Identifier" and even the projection! Is there a way that GM could develop a LAS Editor that would allow a person to populate the header correctly, regardless if your a vender, a provider or an end-user?

I would gladly pay more money for GM, for such a tool, and so would many other's of us that do not have programmers on staff to write our own in-house source code.

Bob

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2011
    Bob,

I could provide some options when exporting LAS data so that you could specify what to fill in for various fields if you just let me know which fields are needed.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • XtremeAK
    edited October 2011
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking a look at this issue. I'm not sure if GM will let me paste a link to a pdf, but I will try.

http://www.asprs.org/a/society/committees/standards/asprs_las_spec_v13.pdf

In this PDF is all the information you would need to let you know exactly what the syntax for 1.2 LAS is, specfically on pages 4, 5, and 6 of the document.

Most important to me is that the LAS as delivered MUST be 100 % compliant with the ASPRS specs. But I really care about the "File Signature", "File Source ID", "Global Encoding", and most importantly the projection information.

Thanks again for all you do, love this software.

Bob
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Bob,

I will add some options to the LAS export to add those options and let you know when a new build is ready.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    The 'File Signature' is defined by the format and is always 'LASF', so that's a non-issue. I went ahead and updated the vector LAS export to allow specifying the 'File Source ID' and 'Global Encoding' values and to also add reporting of those values to the metadata reporting for the layer via the Control Center. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • XtremeAK
    edited October 2011
    Hi Ya Mike,

This morning I upgraded to V13 and installed your build and it's fantastic!!!! Being able to populate those fields is a very nice add to GM. I noticed on your list of updates that you have added HARN to many projections around the US, could you add HARN to all 3 of Florida's projections to that list?

Also, it would be great if you had an option for the LiDAR classes if you added the ASPRS's official list of classes:
    0 Created, never classified
    1 Unclassified
    2 Ground
    3 Low Vegetation
    4 Medium Vegetation
    5 High Vegetation
    6 Building
    7 Low Point (noise)
    8 Model Key-point (mass point)
    9 Water
    10 Proximity/Ignored
    11 Witheld
    12 Overlap Points
    13-31 Reserved for ASPRS Definition

In your new LiDAR output box some additional ouput options could be "System Indentifier" and allowing your users to put in what ever projection and/or horizontal and vertical units they desire, in the format they desire. See below for my typical "Geo-Registration" populated header:

Georegistration
    Coordinate System:NAD83 /HARN Florida East (ftUS)
    PCS Citation: NAD 1983 StatePlane Florida East FIPS 0901 U.S. Survey Feet [EPSG 2236]
    Vertical Citation: VertCS_North_American_Vertical_Datum_1988 (GEOID09)
    Horizontal Units: US Survey Feet
    Vertical Units: US Survey Feet

Having U.S. Survey feet is very important to my clients, now you have simply "feet". Now if we could just have a batch mode that would allow for the outputting of thousands of tiles!! LOL When I tested the batch mode the Source ID and Global encoding doesn't get populated. And the output from batch also identified my 1.2 file as a 1.1 in the header information.

I know this is a lot, but what a fantastic tool you have created, I use it every day and really appreciate all you do to make it even better.

Thanks so much

Bob
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Bob,

You can select the NAD83 (Florida HPGN) datum for pretty much any projection, including any Florida projections. Is there a particular projection that datum isn't working for?

The built-in set of Lidar class names agrees with your list from 0-9, but i have different names over 10. You can customize the names used for different Lidar classes by creating a lidar_classes.txt file in the folder listed on the Help->About dialog and adding custom lines for each type you want to provide a name for, like the following:

10,Proximity/Ignored
    11,Withheld
    12,Overlap Points

The projection definition stored in the Lidar LAS file should include the full unit definition, so US Survey Feet should be encoded as part of that GeoTIFF projection definition. Are you not seeing that?

I will see if I can do something about the vertical datum, although those aren't currently supported by Global Mapper.

I will also update the batch conversion to copy the 'Source ID' and 'Global Encoding' fields if converting from Lidar LAS files and then you will get v1.2 files. I'll let you know when I have a new build with those changes.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Bob,

I have completed updating the batch conversion to copy the File Source ID and Global Encoding from the input file if they exist. This should also cause 1.2 to be used as the version number. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • XtremeAK
    edited October 2011
    Hi Mike,

Ran some tests, the source ID and global encoding only populate IF they exist in the input files, so that means I would have to run all my tiles through GM one at a time to populte those Geokeys, THEN run the batch routine. Would it be possible to have the same GUI that you use in the single conversion export, in the batch routine, where one could populate those two items THEN run the batch and do all your files at once? Sometimes I have up to 3000 files! Could you also add "System Indentifier" to both the single and batch GUI for export, where one could put whatever they wanted in that Geokey position? The LAS version seems to populate correctly now.

I could not find where the HARN was an option in the projection boxes. Perhaps I'm just missing it.

FYI, I am running 64-bit V13. Thanks for the clue on how to get the classes the way I want/need them.

Look forward to your resonce

Bob
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Bob,

Are you at all familiar with the scripting language? It make make more sense for me to add parameters for the Source ID, Global Encoding, and System Identifier to the export commands in the scripting language, then you could run your big conversions using that.

The HARN option would be in the datum setting, just use the NAD83 (Florida HPGN) datum option. That can be used with any projection.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Bob,

I have added a 'System Identifier' option to the vector Lidar LAS export.

I also added the following parameters to the EXPORT_ELEVATION and EXPORT_VECTOR script commands for the LIDAS_LAS format export:

FILE_SOURCE_ID
    GLOBAL_ENCODING
    SYSTEM_ID

I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • XtremeAK
    edited October 2011
    Hi Mike,

Everything works great!! I did finally find HARN, I was just looking in the wrong place!

Would it be possible to get a sample of your GMS script, so that I can create my own script?

Again, thanks for all you do, these additions that you have done with the LAS will help a lot of people. Hopefully generating new purchases of GM and without a doubt some upgrades!

Bob
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Bob,

If you check the Scripting Reference at http://globalmapper.com/helpv13/ScriptReference.html there are lots of examples. See the bottom of the page for some.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com