Insert vertices and split at intersection don't work fine

SILVANOSILVANO Global Mapper UserPosts: 6
edited October 2011 in Bug Report
hello,
I am writing to explain a problem on my computer with the "Insert vertices and split at intersection" command.
When the vectors are very close, the command is not working properly. I can not understand if my computer has a problem or a bug in the command.
Hello and thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2011
    How exactly is it now working and what version of Global Mapper are you using?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • SILVANOSILVANO Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited October 2011
    Global mapper v 13.00 beta 2 64 bit
    edited October 2011
    When I try to use the command as in the example below (when vector vertices are very very close), the program create false intersection. if I try to re-launch the executable on the splitted vectors, the program continues to generate erroneous vectors.
    edited October 2011
    There is a bit of fuzziness intentionally added to the algorithm so that lines that end up extremely close to another line but don't quite cross it are treated as on it and intersections added. Otherwise a lot of these wouldn't work as typically expected when a line ends up just a tiny bit off of another line, perhaps even due to round-off. Your lines are in such tiny dimensions that they are well inside this fuzziness factor and joined together.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2011
    Ok, thanks.
    What I do not understand is that if I run the job a second and a third time the program generates others vectors. I expected that after the first time the command not found more intersections.
    Hello and thanks
    days
    0.jpg 16.5K
    1.jpg 17.8K
    2.jpg 16.5K
    3.jpg 14.9K
    edited October 2011
    The problem is that your coordinates are so close together that they are well within the epsilon fuzziness values. Where are these coordinates that are so extremely close together coming from?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2011
    Hi Mike,
    data vectors are needed as input for acoustic modeling.
    Vectors can not cross each other but must remain splitted at intersections.
    Unfortunately, many vectors are very close and sometimes almost overlap.
    The problem is that the program generates new vectors and new intersections on the same area every time that I run the command. Hello and thanks
    Silvano
    edited October 2011
    Silvano,

I could add an option to configure/remove the epsilon value, although your values still seem extremely close. Are they supposed to represent spatial coordinates?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com