Global Mapper v25.0

Exporting data by geocell?

scotcht
scotcht Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2011 in Vector Data
I'm trying to export shapefiles by geocell (1 lat x 1 lon), but I don't want to do it one at a time, since i have a 120+ geocells of information. Is there a way to do this without a script? Is there a way to do this with a script?
Thanks for any feedback!

st

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2011
    You can just use the Gridding tab when exporting through the user interface to split up into the size cells that you want. You can also do this via script using the gridding parameters to the EXPORT_VECTOR script command.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • scotcht
    scotcht Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

I wanted to use the Gridding tab, but I wasn't sure if it was the best method. Do i enter 1 for arc degree width and height to export 1 degree by 1 degree? Also, I was hoping it had the option to name the export by Geocell.

Is there any way to use the export vector command to loop through a list of lat and lons without entering each lat and lon?

Thanks again!!

scotch
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    Yes, enter 1 for each of the cell width and height in arc degrees. You will also want to go to the Export Bounds tab and specify the bounds as an even lat/lon boundary so you get the grid to start where you want.

If you have the individual cells that you want as area rectangles in some file you could load those, then select those with the Digitizer Tool and when exporting use the option to grid to the selected areas on the Gridding tab rather than specifying the cell size. This would allow you to name by some attribute of the area rectangles as well, such as the geocell name.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • scotcht
    edited September 2011
    Wonderful! That solved my problem. However, I can't seem to get the reverse numbering to work. I need the rows to number in reverse since it starts tiling from the NW corner of my data and works down. Are there any known issues with ticking the reverse box in the Grid Naming section? I tried writing the script using NUM_REVERSE, but seem to get the same result.

Thanks again!
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    What format are you exporting to? I'm not aware of any reverse numbering issues, but I guess I would have to see exactly which options that you have selected.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • scotcht
    edited September 2011
    Mike,
    I'm exporting Shapefile.
    Thanks,
    Scott
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    What do your gridding options look like?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • scotcht
    edited September 2011
    I have "Specify Individual Grid Cell Width and Height" ticked under Grid Layout with a value of 1 for width and height.
    I have "Separate Row/Column Letters or Numbers" ticked under Grid Naming.
    Rows: "Numbers" and "Reverse" ticked
    Columns: "Numbers" ticked
    No export bounds.
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    What do you have specified for the 'Step' value? If you have say -1 for that you could basically be double reversing the count order so you would get the same as the original.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • scotcht
    edited September 2011
    Originally i was using 1 for the step value, and had reverse checked.
    I tried unchecking reverse and added -1 for the step value. That did the trick. I'm not sure why reverse wasn't working for me.