Global Mapper Pro

Attribute limit?

Jake
Jake Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited October 2011 in Vector Data
ASCII import (GM V12) is only bringing in 27 of the 32 attributes in a CSV file. Is this the limit? All column headers are 10 characters or less with no spaces.

Edit: I just noticed I had a character in column beyond the range of data. I will retest.

Comments

• Jake
    Jake Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2011
    Yes that fixed it.
  • Jake
    edited September 2011
    Just an update. What I discovered is that if the last field was blank for a record it would not create an empty field in Global Mapper. These are CSV files.

For example,

NAME,LAT,LONG,COMMENT
    PT1,45,-75,GOOD
    PT2,46,-76,
    PT3,45,-75,BAD

It will not create a COMMENT attribute for PT2. I have worked around this by putting a dummy value in the cell before exporting to CSV.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2011
    That would be how I would expect it to work. If you export to a new format where everything has the same attribute set, like a Shapefile, a blank value would automatically be added for that attribute.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jake
    edited September 2011
    Not sure if I understand the shapefile comment but I have 30 attributes. Many are blank (not determined yet) but they still have a blank attribute listed in the Feature Information tool. Only the last Field gets removed entirely. So some records have 30 attributes and some 29. What I have to do is manually add the attribute.

Note the trailing comma in the second record. This normally implies a field whereas no comma would imply end of record.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2011
    I updated the ASCII importer to go ahead and add the last blank attribute when their is a trailing delimiter. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jake
    edited October 2011
    Thanks Mike. I am using V12 but I think I will be upgraded soon.