Global Mapper v13.00 Beta 1 Now Available - ESRI File Geodatabase Support!

global_mapperglobal_mapper AdministratorPosts: 17,238
edited August 2011 in Announcement and News
Global Mapper Software LLC is pleased to announce the availability of the first beta of Global Mapper v13.00 at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_setup.exe (or get the 64-bit version at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_setup_64bit.exe). Just download that file and run it to install v13.00. It will install alongside any existing Global Mapper version, so you don't have to worry about losing what you're currently working on.

Among the numerous significant changes in this first v13.00 beta are the following:

- Added support for loading ESRI File Geodatabase (GDB) data sets.
- Added support for generating density grids from point features in a loaded layer. This density grid can be based on either just a count of the point features or any numeric attribute value associated with the points.
- Added built-in access to premium streaming high-resolution terrain and imagery from Intermap using the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
- Added option under View menu to zoom to the same location in Google Earth.
- Added option to transform layer coordinates either by a manually specified coordinate transformation or with a control point file when shifting coordinates for selected layers from the Control Center in addition to just shifting a fixed distance.
- Added a new option to the Advanced Feature Creation submenu of the Digitizer Tool to create lines connecting selected points to selected line features along the shortest path between the point and any of the selected lines.
- Added option to Digitizer Tool to automatically move selected point features to the nearest point on selected line features.
- Added support for exporting loaded terrain data to SRTM HGT format files.
- Added support for loading SegY format files.

All of the other numerous changes are listed in the What's New document that is displayed during installation.

Prior to the v13.00 release we also plan on adding several other major features, including support for joining attribute tables to spatial data by attribute, 3-point rotated rectangle drawing, and support for performing math on attribute values support.

Here is a temporary registration key so that you can try everything
out in the beta for 14 days:

RegName: DEMO_08302011
RegCode: 1182419617

While we plan on officially releasing v13.00 in about 3 weeks, for those of you that just can't wait to purchase new licenses and upgrades to existing licenses, you can purchase those now from
http://www.globalmapper.com/product/downloadv13.htm . Pricing for upgrades from v12 is $149 US per license and pricing for new licenses are $399 US for a single license with price breaks for multi-license
purchases.

Let me know if you any problems or questions.

Thanks,

Mike
Global Mapper Software LLC
support@globalmapper.com

Comments

• AndrewMAndrewM Global Mapper User Posts: 17
    edited August 2011
    WFS support ? and the ability to write to File GDB so I don't have to buy FME, would be absolutely fantastic if you can manage to add these to the build list.

Getting this when I try to open some GDB's Unable to load overlay gdb
    Error opening table \roadnetwork.
    Invalid function arguments.
    ESRIFileGDBOverlay.cpp - 679
    Version: v13.00 Beta 1
    Build Time: Aug 14 2011 18:24:00

Using ARCGIS Editor 10

Cheers
    Andrew MacKay
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2011
    Andrew,

I'll add GDB export to the todo list. Can you provide the GDB data set that won't open so that I can take a look? I'm discovering that there are a lot of GDBs that the ESRI API doesn't support yet, including ones older than v10 and compressed data sets.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • AndrewMAndrewM Global Mapper User Posts: 17
    edited August 2011
    I'll have a play tonight, when I have time and send you a couple. FTP ?
    edited August 2011
    Yes, you can FTP to ftp.globalmapper.com with a username of 'upload@globalmapper.com' and a password of 'upload'.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • IndyIndy Global Mapper User Posts: 15Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    Hi Mike,

Any improvements to GeoPDF handling planned for v13? Importing to separate layers, for example.

Thanks,
    edited August 2011
    There aren't any GeoPDF improvements planned in the short-term. We have to wait on new functionality in the PDF library that we use before we can add anything.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tjhbtjhb Global Mapper User Posts: 454Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    Mike,

The "Miscellaneous Advanced Options" list (on the General tab of the Configuration dialog) has grown very cramped—for good reasons. It's getting very difficult to find where to scroll to.

Would it be possible to move it to its own tab?

Tim
    edited August 2011
    Tim,

I have just expanded the actual size of the list so that it fills the dialog. Eventually it will be moved to its own dialog and probably split into categories to make it easier to find what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tjhbtjhb Global Mapper User Posts: 454Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    Thanks Mike that will make it easier to browse (and remember) these options.
  • LeeksLeeks Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    AndrewM wrote: »
    WFS support ? and the ability to write to File GDB so I don't have to buy FME, would be absolutely fantastic if you can manage to add these to the build list.

Getting this when I try to open some GDB's Unable to load overlay gdb
    Error opening table \roadnetwork.

Using ARCGIS Editor 10

Cheers
    Andrew MacKay

Hi there, I am new to GM, just dl GM13.0. I could not get my fgdb to load too. tried dragging them from Win Explorer and through GM13.0, but i have below error. I am running on ArcMap 9.3.1.

Global Mapper
    Unable to load overlay gdb
    This release of the GeoDatabase is either invalid or out of date.
    ESRIFileGDBOverlay.cpp - 616
    Use Ctrl+V to Paste Error
    OK
  • PaulTocknellPaulTocknell Forum Administrator Posts: 306
    edited August 2011
    Global Mapper v13 only supports loading gdb files created with Arc 10 and later. Those gdb files created with 9.x.x are not supported due to ESRI not releasing the file specifications (at least this is my understanding)

Paul
    edited August 2011
    Paul is basically correct, but the library for reading FDGB data sets actually comes from ESRI, they haven't released the actual file specification at all. It is this library that only supports FGDB data sets from ArcGIS v10 and later, I don't know why they didn't support the ArcGIS 9.x.x FGDB data sets, but for now you would have to run Update in ArcGIS v10 or later to updated those FGDB data sets into something that Global Mapper could use.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • IndyIndy Global Mapper User Posts: 15Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    Mike,

I'm trying out v13 on a local GDB dataset but I know nothing about them. The "dataset" is actually a folder with a .gdb extension. Within the folder are multiple files with the following extensions: .atx, .freelist, .gdbindexes, .gdbtable, .gdbtablx and .spx. There is also one file named gdb (with no extension). The only file GM seems to recognize is the single gdb file - when I try to open it I get the following error:

This release of the GeoDatabase is either invalid or out of date.
    ESRIFileGDBOverlay.cpp - 616
    Build Time: Aug 14 2011 18:25:56

Am I trying to open the correct file? Ah, I just saw in the data's documentation that it is using GDB v9.3 - I remember you mentioning that the API won't work with anything older than v10. Well I guess that the end of the experiment...

Thanks,
  • LeeksLeeks Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    Global Mapper v13 only supports loading gdb files created with Arc 10 and later. Those gdb files created with 9.x.x are not supported due to ESRI not releasing the file specifications (at least this is my understanding)

Paul

Hi guys,

thanks for that. But my company is not ready to move to ver10 yet. We tried 10 abt 8 months ago but weren't convinced there are any advantages of doing the upgrade. Furthermore, Singe licenses are tied to MAC address
    which is not very convenient.

Thanks again.
  • ClementBClementB Global Mapper User Posts: 16Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    That is great news!

I started playing around with the file gdb support, with mixed results so far. I managed to load 2 polygon feature classes from 2 different geodatabases, but all my other attempts failed, with no obvious reason. (they are all v10 geodatabases)

Error message:

Global Mapper
    Error opening table \XXXXXXXXX.
    Build Time: Aug 14 2011 18:25:56
    Use Ctrl+V to Paste Error
    OK
    On another Note, I think we may need an extra dialog asking which feature class/ feature dataset we want to import within a fgdb, at the moment it looks like everything is loaded by default and this could be a problem on massive gdbs.

That is great work though, we will probably upgrade our licences to v13 just for that feature!
    edited August 2011
    The 'Invalid function arguments' error apparently happens when the table being loaded uses a custom projection, which is yet another thing that the ESRI GDB API does not yet support.

I will plan on adding support for selecting which tables to load when loading an ESRI FGDB data set.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • NokluNoklu Global Mapper User Posts: 29Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    Mike, Here is something that bugged me in v12 and I see it is still in v13. This is when saving a raster image from the 3D window. It would be nice to have a check box option to "save aspect", then when you punched in a different width (or height) in pixels, the other dimension would update. I like to save larger/better quality images. Right now you have to take note of the pixels and do the math to increase in size. If you are not careful you end up with a distorted image.
    edited August 2011
    I decided to always maintain the aspect ratio automatically when saving a 3D image since I couldn't think of why you wouldn't want to do that. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

I have placed a new v13 build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • NokluNoklu Global Mapper User Posts: 29Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    Mike,

I tried both the v12 and v13 updates, they both work very well. The dialog box does not update the second pixel dimension, but the image that is saved IS correct. I was able to make a 5000 pixel image with no problems. The images look very smooth. This will be a big help. Thanks.
  • sjf_supportsjf_support Global Mapper User Posts: 26
    edited August 2011
    Hello Mike,
    Just checked in and noticed that v13 beta 1 is available. But I had trouble finding the spot where to get the 64bit version: it's not in downloads or in the link after purchasing the update... In the end i just went to the GM site, downloads, and changed the v12 64bit exe download link to v13... It works but there must be a direct link to get the 64 bit download somewhere...
    Do I overlook something?
    Greetings, Stefan
    edited August 2011
    Stefan,

You can get the 64-bit beta 1 installer from:

64-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_setup_64bit.exe

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sjf_supportsjf_support Global Mapper User Posts: 26
    edited August 2011
    Mike,
    I figured that out, my point is: there is no link to that file when you click download now in the banner or anywhere else on the site(s).
    Cheers Stefan
    edited August 2011
    The beta is not officially listed on globalmapper.com, it is only announced on globalmapperforum.com and through the Yahoo User's Group. The top of this thread has links to both builds.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com