Global Mapper v25.0

Auto Layer Update

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2011 in Suggestion Box
My map sets consists of many layers which are often collections of sub-layers. Currently if I update a sub-layer, I have to go to the sub-layer collection, delete that layer, and install the updated layer. Then go to the next higher layer level and also update that collection.

I'd like GM to poll linked layers by date saved, then by either an auto when opened or via a manual activation query each attached layer and determine by date a possible layer revision. If the date is later, a dialog would ask if you want to include the later layer.

If this is already possible, sometimes happens, please clue me in.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    I guess I'm not at all sure what you are referring to. When you say layer, do you mean a file loaded in the Control Center. What do you mean by "linked layers'? This really isn't a concept in Global Mapper, nor are collections of layers, unless you are talking about groups in the Control Center.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    I guess I'm not at all sure what you are referring to. When you say layer, do you mean a file loaded in the Control Center. What do you mean by "linked layers'? This really isn't a concept in Global Mapper, nor are collections of layers, unless you are talking about groups in the Control Center.
    Yes the Control Center "layers". They function as layers inasmuch as a polygon can obscure a line (not possible in my finished product). So the linking I refer to is the path to a file coupled with the file's time stamp for updating. If you click on a layers metadata, the full path is displayed. Is path linking Possible? I realize if it isn't easy it won't happen. But it would be a big help to me if it happened.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    I'm still not exactly sure what the path linking would do? A normal layer is tied to a particular filename and path, if you update that file and reload the workspace it gets updated automatically. I'm not really sure how the timestamp ties into this. Is this the file time stamp?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com