Raster format acceptable to Android apps

vieuxdelamontagnevieuxdelamontagne Global Mapper UserPosts: 66Trusted User
edited July 2011 in Raster Data
I would very much like to move some rasterized georeferenced map images from GM to an Android tablet so that my maps could be displayed on the Android gizmo and, I hope, used in conjunction with GPS. I see a number of Android apps (AlpineQuest for one) that may do the job, but they seem to insist on working with map files in the ".aqm" format ("Mobile Atlas Creator"). Anyone have any ideas about how to get something useful from GM into something useful, such as an .aqm map, on an Android? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2011
    I'm not at all familiar with that format. Do the creators of the Android apps perhaps have a desktop application that can convert from a common geo-spatial format, like maybe GeoTIFF, to the .aqm format?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vieuxdelamontagnevieuxdelamontagne Global Mapper User Posts: 66Trusted User
    edited July 2011
    I wish the Andoid folks did offer something like that; if they do, I can't find it. Nearly all the map/GPS apps seem to want a file in one or another of several formats out put by the desktop application "Mobile Atlas Creator". This is turn seems to want input data from any of several Web-based data servers, notably Open Street Map. In every case, I have the impression that the idea is to create a tiled data set for Android that permit rescaling/zooming so that the visible raster will display more detail as the scale increases. While that would be a nice feature, of course, I'd be satisfied with an app that would accept a non-tiled and non-scalable) simple geotiff. I'll sure be grateful for any and all suggestions. And thanks, Mike, for your usual quick and thoughtful reply.
    edited July 2011
    Answering my own question, maybe: a program called "MAPC2MAPC" available at http://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mapping/ may possibly do the job of taking a GeoTIFF as input and producing as output a tiled map dataset that can be used by at least some Android map apps. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.
  • joilly47rogerjoilly47roger Global Mapper User Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    MAPC2MAPC will create several raster formats for Android apps from Geotiff (and other sources) : RMAPS, Locus, Maverick, Androzic, Alpinequest, My Trails, Back Country Navigator, Trekbuddy, Orux, Andnav.

If there is a need for another then, as the developer, I may be able to provide it.
    edited July 2011
    Well, thanks indeed! Couldn't hope for anything better than info from the horse's mouth. I'm away from my Android gizmo for a week, but I will certainly take you up on your offer if I find anything I need.
    edited July 2011
    Well, having recovered my gizmo, an ex-Nook Color, I tried to use Backcountry Navigator to do the maps on the thing, and it simply failed to do anything whatsoever. As far as I can tell, MAPC2MAPC worked correctly, but: is there any way to check the integrity of the atlas it produces, short of getting a successful result from an Android map program?
    edited July 2011
    This is my final post on this issue, because MAPC2MAPC has proved to be a perfect solution to the problem I raised. Anyone who uses Global Mapper to write georeferenced raster maps, such as geotiffs, and would then like to view them on an Android tablet or mobile, will find this program invaluable. I have tested it with two of the several map apps available for Androids (using my ex-Nook Color tablet), and have found the result to be exactly what I was hoping for. My thanks also to the developers of both MAPC2MAPC and one of the apps for superb customer support in dealing with technical issues.